Force on small wire segment in ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of a contracting ring on current, the calculation of energy stored and rate of mechanical work, the pressure equation, and the reasoning behind the force on a small wire segment not being BIL. It is suggested that the purpose of the problem is to show that the magnetic force on the segment is not BIL and that the energy supplied by the current source goes somewhere as the solenoid expands.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Part (a): Describe what happens to current when ring contracts
Part(b): Find how much energy is stored, changing per unit time and rate of mechanical work being done
Part (c): Show the pressure is given by:
Part (d): Why is the force on a small wire segment not BIL?

29go29w.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(d)

I tried a geometric reasoning, saying the horizontal components cancel out. So the net force is [tex]2Fcos(\frac{\theta}{2}) = 2F\sqrt{1-(\frac{L}{2r})^2} = BIL\sqrt{4 - (\frac{L}{r})^2}[/tex]

b9c75v.png

Somehow I don't think that's the answer they are looking for..

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp

If you take L << r for a segment of wire, then you can consider it as essentially straight when calculating the force on the segment.

I think the purpose of the problem is to show that the magnetic force on the segment is not BIL, where B is the field inside the solenoid. This can be surprising since BIL is the usual expression for the force.

As the solenoid expands in radius, the energy supplied by the current source goes somewhere. If you can identify where it goes, then you can use energy concepts to deduce the amount of magnetic force on a segment of wire.

What is the force on a small wire segment in a ring?

The force on a small wire segment in a ring is the amount of push or pull that the segment experiences due to its interaction with the ring. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

How is the force on a small wire segment in a ring calculated?

The force on a small wire segment in a ring can be calculated using the formula F = I x B x L, where F is the force, I is the current in the wire, B is the magnetic field, and L is the length of the wire segment.

What factors affect the force on a small wire segment in a ring?

The force on a small wire segment in a ring is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current in the wire, and the length of the wire segment. It is also affected by the orientation of the wire segment in relation to the magnetic field.

What is the direction of the force on a small wire segment in a ring?

The direction of the force on a small wire segment in a ring is perpendicular to both the direction of the current in the wire and the direction of the magnetic field. It follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the significance of understanding the force on a small wire segment in a ring?

Understanding the force on a small wire segment in a ring is important in various applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field, which has implications in fields such as plasma physics and astrophysics.