1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on two touching blocks

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For two touching blocks, a constant horizontal force Fa is applied to block A to the right, which pushes against block B with a 26.0 N force directed horizontally to the right. In figure (b), the same force Fa is applied to block B to the right (the blocks switched places); now block A pushes on block B with a 13.0 N force directed horizontally to the left. The blocks have a combined mass of 6.00 kg (A is smaller than B).

I need to know the system's total acceleration and the force being applied.

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's laws; friction is being ignored

3. The attempt at a solution
    is it safe to assume that the mass of A is half the mass of B? (a pushes on b with half the force that b forces on a). That would make the acceleration 52, which isn't correct. Have i missed something?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Heather, welcome to Physics Forums!
    Yes, this is a very good observation. Now since A is half of B, and together their mass is 6 kg, then A = ???? kg and B = ??? kg.
    Please show how you arrived at this number. Draw free body diagrams of each block for each case, and a free body diagram of the system of 2 blocks.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    Well obviously that would make the mass of A 2 kg and the mass of B 4. My thinking was that the block that was being pushed by the other one would need to exert an opposite force, so if A is pushing on B with a 26 N force and weighs 2 kg, the acceleration would be 13, which doesn't work (if A pushes on B with 26N force, though, why isn't that the force being applied to the system). As for the 52...I understand now why that was wrong.

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If , drawing a free body diagram of B, A pushes on B with 26 N, and B has a mass of 4 kg, then per Newton 2, a = ?
    The force applied to the system is not the same as the force between blocks. The force applied to the system (the applied force acting on A in your first case) must move BOTH blocks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook