How Far Will a Box Slide on a Frictional Surface After Being Pushed?

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance a box will slide given a push with an initial speed of 3.0m/s and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.2. The equation Fapplied - Ffriction = ma is used, along with the equations Vf^2=Vo^2+2ax and 0=3^2+2ax, but there are still too many variables to solve the problem.
Arbitrary
In preparing for a test I came across this problem:

A box is given a push so that it slides across the floor. How far will it go, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2 and the push imparts an initial speed of 3.0m/s?

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Fapplied - Ffriction = ma

V0=3, x=?, a=?, Vf=0
Vf^2=Vo^2+2ax;
0=3^2+2ax
-9=2ax

I can't come up with any more equations, and there are currently too many variables to put the equations together. It seems pretty straightforward--perhaps I'm just missing something crucial.

Physics news on Phys.org
*edit
Opps, nvm. :p

I would first start by clarifying the question and defining all the variables involved. In this case, the variables are the force applied (Fapplied), the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk), the initial speed (V0), the distance traveled (x), the acceleration (a), and the final speed (Vf).

Next, I would use the given information to calculate the force of friction (Ffriction) using the equation Ffriction = μk * m * g, where m is the mass of the box and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Then, I would use the given initial speed and the calculated force of friction to solve for the acceleration using the equation Fapplied - Ffriction = ma.

Once the acceleration is known, I would use the equation Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2ax to solve for the distance traveled (x).

It is important to keep track of units throughout the calculations to ensure the final answer is in the correct unit (in this case, meters).

In conclusion, the distance the box will travel can be calculated by first determining the force of friction, then solving for the acceleration, and finally using the equation for distance traveled to find the answer. It is important to carefully define and track all variables and units to ensure an accurate solution.

1. What is the "Box Push Force Problem"?

The "Box Push Force Problem" is a physics problem that involves determining the force required to move an object (usually a box) along a frictionless surface. It is a common problem used to teach concepts of force and motion.

2. How is the force required to move a box determined?

To determine the force required to move a box, one must consider the mass of the box, the acceleration of the box, and the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface it is on. These factors can be used in the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the force of friction between the two surfaces to the normal force pressing them together. A lower coefficient of friction means less force is needed to move an object on a particular surface.

4. How does the force required to move a box change with the coefficient of friction?

The force required to move a box increases as the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface increases. This is because a higher coefficient of friction means more resistance between the surfaces, requiring a greater force to overcome it.

5. What is the significance of the "Box Push Force Problem"?

The "Box Push Force Problem" is a widely used example in physics education to teach concepts of force, motion, and friction. It also has real-world applications, such as determining the amount of force needed to push a heavy object on a particular surface, which is important in industries such as construction and logistics.