Calculating the Net Force Acting on a 2.75 kg Object

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the net force acting on a 2.75 kg object at t = 2.35 s, given its x and y coordinates. The homework equations used were F=ma and the second derivative of position equations. The final answer was found to be 198 N.
tarzanna

Homework Statement

A 2.75 kg object is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x = 7t^2 - 4 and y = 5t^3 + 1, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Find the magnitude of the net force acting on this object at t = 2.35 s.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the 2nd derivative of each posn eqn and then substituted 2.35s for t to get accel; multiplied each accel by 2.75 kg to get Fx and Fy; then took the sqrt of (Fx^2 + Fy^2) to get magnitude.

I am not sure how to proceed. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the answer down and turn the question in, you already got it.

Thanks. I calculated the answer to be 104.5 N but it was marked as incorrect by the web program I use to turn in assignments. So something isn't right.

I got 198 N, you must've made an arithmetic error.

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. In other words, it is the sum of all the forces acting on an object.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to determine the individual forces acting on an object and then add them together. Remember to consider both magnitude and direction when adding forces.

3. Why is it important to calculate net force?

Calculating net force is important because it helps us understand how an object will move or accelerate. It also allows us to predict the motion of an object and make accurate calculations for things like acceleration and velocity.

4. Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. This simply means that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, canceling each other out and resulting in a net force of zero.

5. How does mass affect net force?

Mass does not directly affect net force. However, it does play a role in determining an object's acceleration when considering net force. The larger the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it at the same rate as a smaller object.