Force Problems Involving Two or More Objects

• Thread starter harmeet_angel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, three blocks with masses 1kg, 2kg, and 3kg are in contact with each other on a frictionless horizontal surface. A horizontal force of 24N is applied to the first block. The net force on each block can be found by multiplying the net acceleration (calculated by dividing the applied force by the sum of the masses) by the mass of each block. The contact forces between the blocks can be found by analyzing the forces acting on each block separately and solving for the unknown contact force. The force exerted by the second block on the first block is equal to the net force on the second block plus the net force on the third block. Similarly, the force exerted by the third block on
harmeet_angel
1. Three blocks are in contact with each other on a frictionless horizontal surface.The masses of the blocks are m1 = 1 kg , m2 = 2 kg, m3 = 3 kg. A horizontal force F = 24 N is applied on m1.
a. Find the net force on each block.
b. Find magnitude of the contact forces between the blocks.

2. Homework Equations
F= ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I found the net acceleration, that equals to Fnet/(m1+m2+m3)
and then for a) I just multiplied each mass by net acceleration to get the force. Like for mass 3, I multiplied net acceleration by mass 3

and then for b)
between the m1 and m2
Net force on m1 is force applied - force exerted on it by m2
and the force exerted by the forward masses equal to summ of m2+m1 divided by m1+m2+m3, and times total force<24 N>
:frown: ...:cry: <I get lost after this>

I am confused for both parts. Wondering if I am on right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
harmeet_angel said:
I found the net acceleration, that equals to Fnet/(m1+m2+m3)
and then for a) I just multiplied each mass by net acceleration to get the force. Like for mass 3, I multiplied net acceleration by mass 3
All good.

To find the contact forces (there are only two: between m1 & m2 and between m2 & m3) consider the forces acting on each mass separately. You already know the net force, so: Analyze the forces on m1 to find the first contact force; analyze the forces on m2 to find the second contact force.

Try it and see.

so, I isolated the mass m1
it is pushed background by the force from m2 that equals to net force of m2+net force of m3
and it is pushed forward by the original net force that is applied at m1

and I know both them
and also the net force on m1

so how can i find the contact force?
Is it the force that pushes it backward?

Keep it simple. What forces act on m1? Only two:
(1) the applied force of 24 (to the right, say): call it +24
(2) the contact force of m2 (to the left): call it -X

So the net force on m1 (which you already calculated as m1a) must equal 24 - X. Solve for X!

Now do the same for m2 to solve for the second contact force.

(From Newton's 3rd law, you know that the force that m1 exerts on m2 must be equal and opposite the force that m2 exerts on m1.)

X=24-net force on m1

or X = net force on m2 + net force on m3

they both are same?!
that's why i am little confused... because I know X even before solving that equation.. and i get lost everytime about what I am trying to solve for

harmeet_angel said:
X=24-net force on m1
Right. So now you know the contact force between m1 and m2.

or X = net force on m2 + net force on m3
I don't know where this comes from.

Instead, analyze the forces on m2:

(1) Contact force from m1 (which we already know!): call it +X
(2) Contact force from m3 (to the left): call it -Y

So the net force on m2 (which you know is m2a) must be:
X - Y = m2a

Solve for Y and you're done.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in Newtons (N) and has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add up all the forces acting on an object. If the forces are in the same direction, you can simply add them together. If they are in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one to find the net force.

3. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

4. How do you solve a force problem involving two or more objects?

To solve a force problem involving two or more objects, you need to identify all the forces acting on each object and their directions. Then, use Newton's Second Law of Motion to calculate the net force on each object. Finally, use this net force to determine the acceleration of each object and how they will move in relation to each other.

5. Can forces between two objects cancel each other out?

Yes, forces between two objects can cancel each other out if they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. When this happens, the net force on the object will be zero and it will remain in a state of equilibrium.