Force Relative to the vertical?

In summary, cosine theta is vertical and sin theta is horizontal in the given example because of the chosen angle theta between the force vector and the vertical axis. If theta was defined between the force vector and the horizontal axis, the sin() and cos() terms would be switched. This concept is related to trigonometry.
Scorry
Can you explain why cosine theta is vertical, and sin theta is horizontal on this example? I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Scorry said:
Can you explain why cosine theta is vertical, and sin theta is horizontal on this example? I am confused.

Link?

Does it look like this?

https://www.cdli.ca/sampleResources/physics3204/unit01_org02_ilo03/u01-s02-ls03-lessonfig07.gif
u01-s02-ls03-lessonfig07.gif

Thanks. I attached a photo, but it's not showing up. Your example is what we're covering next, I haven't gotten there yet.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It's because of which angle theta they are using (they show theta between the force vector and the vertical axis). If they defined/chose theta to be between the force vector and the horizontal axis, that would switch the sin() and cos() terms, right?

berkeman said:
It's because of which angle theta they are using (they show theta between the force vector and the vertical axis). If they defined/chose theta to be between the force vector and the horizontal axis, that would switch the sin() and cos() terms, right?
Thanks man, it makes a little more sense. I haven't taken trig in a few years.

Likes berkeman

1. What is "force relative to the vertical?"

"Force relative to the vertical" refers to the amount of force acting perpendicular to the ground or a surface. It is the component of force that is directed upwards or downwards, as opposed to horizontally.

2. How is force relative to the vertical calculated?

Force relative to the vertical is calculated by taking the component of force that is perpendicular to the ground or surface. This can be done using trigonometric functions, such as sine or cosine, when the angle of the force is known.

3. Why is force relative to the vertical important?

Understanding force relative to the vertical is important in many scientific fields, including physics and engineering. It helps to determine the balance of forces and the stability of structures.

4. How does force relative to the vertical affect an object's motion?

Force relative to the vertical plays a role in an object's motion by influencing its acceleration. If the force is directed upwards, it can cause an object to rise or move in a vertical direction. If the force is directed downwards, it can cause an object to fall or move in a vertical direction.

5. Can force relative to the vertical be negative?

Yes, force relative to the vertical can be negative if it is directed downwards. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the vertical, which can cause an object to move downwards or be pulled towards the ground or surface.