Force, tension, torque and angular acceleration problem

In summary, we have a large roll of paper with a force of 60 N applied to it, held in place by a bracket attached to a rod. The net force on the paper is found to be 646.8 N, and the magnitude of the angular acceleration is 34.6 rad/s^2. We also used the equations \sum F_{x}=0, \sum F_{y}=0, and a=\frac{\tau}{I} to solve this problem.
kottur

Homework Statement

A large 16.0 kg roll of paper with radius R=18.0 cm rests against the wall and is held in place by a bracket attached to a rod through the center of the roll. The rod turns without friction in the bracket, and the moment of inertia of the paper and rod about the axis is 0.260 kg m^2. The other end of the bracket is attached by a frictionless hinge to the wall such that the bracket makes an angle of 30.0° with the wall. The weight of the bracket is negligible. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the paper and the wall is μ= 0.25. A constant vertical force F= 60.0 N is applied to the paper, and the paper unrolls.

YF-10-54.jpg

1. What is the magnitude of the force that the rod exerts on the paper as it unrolls?

2. What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the roll?

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum F_{x}=0[/itex]

[itex]\sum F_{y}=0[/itex]

[itex]a=\frac{\tau}{I}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\sum F_{y}=60N+W-\mu*F=0[/itex] where [itex]W=16kg*9.8m/s^{2}[/itex] and [itex]\sum F_{x}=Tcos(30)=0[/itex]

I'm also not sure in what direction the force vector should be pointing when it says "What is the magnitude of the force that the rod exerts on the paper as it unrolls". The paper is in all directions around the rod so I'm not sure how to look at this problem.
Please help, I'm really lost.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. This is a great problem to practice your understanding of forces and angular acceleration. Let's break it down step by step to find the solution.

1. To find the magnitude of the force that the rod exerts on the paper, we need to first find the net force acting on the paper. From the given information, we know that there is a vertical force of 60 N applied to the paper, the weight of the paper (16 kg * 9.8 m/s^2), and the force of friction. We can write the equation as:

\sum F_{y}=60N+W-\mu*F=0

Where W is the weight of the paper and F is the force exerted by the rod on the paper. We can solve for F by rearranging the equation:

F = (60 N + W)/μ

Substituting in the values, we get:

F = (60 N + 156.8 N)/0.25 = 646.8 N

Therefore, the magnitude of the force that the rod exerts on the paper is 646.8 N.

2. The magnitude of the angular acceleration of the roll can be found using the equation:

a = τ/I

Where τ is the net torque acting on the roll and I is the moment of inertia. In this case, the net torque is caused by the force applied to the paper and the force of friction. We can write the equation as:

τ = F * R - μ * F * R = (F - μ * F) * R

Substituting in the values, we get:

τ = (60 N - 0.25 * 60 N) * 0.18 m = 9 Nm

Therefore, the magnitude of the angular acceleration is:

a = (9 Nm)/0.260 kg m^2 = 34.6 rad/s^2

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

What is the difference between force and tension?

Force and tension are both types of interactions between objects, but they have different definitions and effects. Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate, while tension is a pulling force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable. In other words, force is the applied action, while tension is the reaction to the applied force.

How is torque related to force and angular acceleration?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is directly proportional to the magnitude of the force and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. In other words, the greater the force and the farther away it is from the axis, the greater the torque. Torque is also related to angular acceleration, as a larger torque will result in a greater angular acceleration.

How do you calculate the net force on an object in a torque problem?

In a torque problem, the net force is equal to the vector sum of all the forces acting on the object. This includes both the forces that are directly applied to the object, as well as the forces that are transmitted through the object, such as tension. To calculate the net force, you can use the equation Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration.

What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity in a straight line, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity. In other words, linear acceleration refers to changes in speed, while angular acceleration refers to changes in rotational speed. Additionally, linear acceleration is measured in units of distance per time squared, while angular acceleration is measured in units of radians per time squared.

How can you determine the direction of torque in a problem?

The direction of torque is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the applied force, your fingers will curl in the direction of the torque. Alternatively, you can use the cross product rule, where the direction of the torque is perpendicular to both the direction of the force and the axis of rotation.