Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force to Lorentz Force

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    Greetings,

I am trying to to show that the force in this form:

[itex]\dot{P}=e(\vec{∇}\vec{A})\vec{\dot{x}}-e\vec{∇}\phi[/itex]

Is equal to the lorentz force. I have been trying the approach of some sort of vector identity but have not gotten anywhere.

The equation and where I am trying to get with it are posted on wikipedia towards the bottom:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamiltonian_mechanics

I appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The equation of motion is given by (in Heaviside-Lorentz units)
    [tex]m \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (\frac{\dot{\vec{x}}}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}/c^2}} \right)=q \left (\vec{E}+ \frac{\vec{v}}{c} \times \vec{B} \right )=q \left [-\vec{\nabla} \phi + \frac{\vec{v}}{c} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}) \right ].[/tex]
    To derive it from the principle of least action, I prefer the Lagrangian form, because there the action is manifestly covariant:
    [tex]L=-mc^2 \sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2/c^2}-q \left (\phi-\frac{\dot{\vec{x}}}{c} \cdot \vec{A} \right ).[/tex]
    The action is manifestly covariant, because
    [tex]\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2} \mathrm{d} t = \mathrm{d} \tau = \sqrt{\mathrm{d} x_{\mu} \mathrm{d} x^{\mu}}[/tex]
    and
    [tex](\phi-\frac{\dot{\vec{x}}}{c} \cdot \vec{A}) \mathrm{d} t = \mathrm{d} t \frac{1}{c} \frac{\mathrm{d} x^{\mu}}{\mathrm{d} t} A_{\mu}=\frac{1}{c} \mathrm{d} x^{\mu} A_{\mu}.[/tex]
    The four potential [itex](A^{\mu})=(\phi,\vec{A})[/itex] is a Mikowski four-vector.

To get the equations of motion, you just write down the Euler-Lagrange equations
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\vec{x}}}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{x}}.[/tex]
    Just taking the derivatives, gives
    [tex]\vec{P}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\vec{x}}}=\frac{m \dot{\vec{x}}}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}}+\frac{q}{c} \vec{A}.[/tex]
    Here it is important to note that [itex]\vec{P}[/itex] is the canonical momentum, not the mechanical momentum, which is given by the first term only.

Further we have
    [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{x}}=-q \vec{\nabla} \phi + \frac{q}{c} \vec{\nabla} (\dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \vec{A}).[/tex]

Written in the three-dimensional Ricci calculus (with all indices as subscripts) the equation of motion thus reads
    [tex]\dot{P}_j=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (\frac{m \dot{x}_j}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}} + q A_j \right ) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (\frac{m \dot{x}_j}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}} \right ) + \frac{q}{c}\dot{x}_k \partial_k A_j = -q \partial_j \phi + \frac{q}{c} \dot{x}_k \partial_j A_k.[/tex]
    Combining the two terms with the vector potential on the right-hand side gives
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (\frac{m \dot{x}_j}{\sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2}} \right )=-q \partial_j \phi + \frac{q}{c} \dot{x}_k (\partial_j A_k-\partial_k A_j).[/tex]
    The last term can be rewritten as
    [tex]\dot{x}_k (\partial_j A_k-\partial_k A_j) =\dot{x}_k \epsilon_{jkl} (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A})_l=[\dot{\vec{x}} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A})]_j.[/tex]
    Rewriting everything in vector notation yields the correct equation of motion.

Note that the notation in Wikipedia, from where you copied your equation, is not very clear. That's why I used the Ricci calculus in the intermediate steps, where it is clear what are free indices and which are repeated indices to be summed.

4. Feb 1, 2014 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]{\bf F}=-e\nabla\phi-e\partial_t{\bf A}+e{\bf v\times(\nabla\times A)}[/tex]
    [tex]=-e\nabla\phi-e\partial_t{\bf A}+e\nabla{\bf(v\cdot A)}-e{\bf(v\cdot\nabla)A}[/tex]
    [tex]=-e\nabla\phi+e\nabla{\bf(v\cdot A)}-e\frac{\bf dA}{dt}.[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook