Force & Torque in Classic Mechanics: Calculating Accelerations

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanics of a disk in mid-air, where force is applied at the top of the disk causing both linear and rotational acceleration. The force is represented by vector F and the torque by vector r. The linear acceleration is calculated using the same force divided by the mass, while the rotational acceleration is calculated by taking the cross product of the force and r, and dividing by the moment of inertia. Both accelerations are caused by the same force and this is a key factor in a physics computer simulation program.
tom_backton
This is a question about classic mechanics.

Let's say there is a disk in mid-air. There are only 2 dimentions, which is why it's a disk and not a ball...anyway, force is applied to the disk, exactly at the disk's top. Vector r goes from the disks center to the pint to which the force is applied, so r=(0,rx) . F=(Fx,Fy) . The torque causing rotaion is the xy plane (which is the torque vector's z component...) is equal to rx*Fy-Fx*ry . The force causes both linear and rotational acceleration. The question is how exactly I calculate them. Do I use the same force for both? If not, how do I calculate the accelerations?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tom! :smile:

yes, you use the same force in ∑ F = ma, to get the linear (vector) acceleration a.

tom_backton said:
anyway, force is applied at the disk's top. Vector r goes from the disks center to the point where the force is applied, so r=(0,rx) .
If the force is applied at the top then shouldn't r=(0,ry)?

F=(Fx,Fy) . The torque is equal to rx*Fy-Fx*ry.
For the initial state, since rx = 0, then only the -Fx*ry component matters for the torque component.

The force causes both linear and rotational acceleration.
As mentioned above, the linear acceleration corresponds to linear force divided by mass. The rotational reaction doesn't affect the linear acceleration, but it will require that point of application of that force to move faster, to account for the power component used to increase rotational energy. (power = force x speed).

Assuming that the force is applied through the equivalent of a pin at the edge of the disk so the force can "pull" the disk as well as "push" it, and assuming the force remains constant in both Fx and Fy components, then it's path can be determined by the reaction of the disk to linear and angular acceleration. The math seems complicated, and momentum of the disk will cause it to behave somewhat like a pendulum while being accelerated.

So I use the same force F for both the linear acceleration (force F divided by mass m) and the rotational acceleration (force F cross-multiplied by r and then divided by the moment of inertia I) ? Does the same force cause the two accelerations? I just need to be sure...it's for a physics computer simulation program...

tom_backton said:
So I use the same force F for both the linear acceleration (force F divided by mass m) and the rotational acceleration (force F cross-multiplied by r and then divided by the moment of inertia I) ? Does the same force cause the two accelerations? I just need to be sure...it's for a physics computer simulation program...

Yes … the Fs in those formulas are both called force because they are the same thing …

we'd call them something else if that didn't work! :wink:

Thanks for the help :)

1. What is force in classic mechanics?

Force in classic mechanics is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F. Force can cause an object to accelerate, change direction, or deform.

2. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its acceleration (a). This can be represented by the equation F = ma. In classic mechanics, force can also be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to the rate of change of an object's momentum.

3. What is torque in classic mechanics?

Torque in classic mechanics is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) and is represented by the symbol τ. Torque is dependent on both the magnitude and direction of the force applied.

4. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied (F) by the distance from the axis of rotation (r). This can be represented by the equation τ = Fr. The direction of the torque is perpendicular to both the force and the distance vectors.

5. How are force and torque related?

Force and torque are related in that force can cause an object to rotate around an axis, resulting in torque. Torque is also a measure of the force that is causing the rotation. In classic mechanics, the sum of all external forces acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of the object's angular momentum, which is represented by torque.