Force with friction, pulleys and cords

In summary, the two blocks cannot have the same acceleration due to the fact that the force is distributed with the wall and you would need to move over twice the distance to complete the same amount of work.
saructk

Homework Statement

w31113phy1e217.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma
fk=μR

The Attempt at a Solution

v4872phy2s217.jpg

What's wrong in my work? Is a(B) not equal to a(A)? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no guarantee to my answer but here goes:
Friction of ground on B is μk*N (where N is normal force of ground on block B which is equals to weight of B, 40Newtons)
This gives friction as 8N.
The force on A would be 100N (weight of A)

This is an atwood machine problem. First think of block A and B as on the same plane, A on left and B on right. Force on A to the right (weight) is 100N and friction on B (to the left) is 8N, giving a net force of 92N to right.

Using F=ma, find a (acceleration of the two blocks, it has to be the same for each block) [This is taking m as total mass of blocks A and B which is 140N/9.81 (taking g as 9.81)].
My acceleration is about 0.64466ms-2.
Using V=U+at ( V is final speed, U is initial speed, a is acceleration and t is time)
speed after 0.5s is 2.32233ms-1.

Hope this helps. I cannot guarantee that my solution is correct, but in my opinion it should be.

swsw said:
There is no guarantee to my answer but here goes:
Friction of ground on B is μk*N (where N is normal force of ground on block B which is equals to weight of B, 40Newtons)
This gives friction as 8N.
The force on A would be 100N (weight of A)

This is an atwood machine problem. First think of block A and B as on the same plane, A on left and B on right. Force on A to the right (weight) is 100N and friction on B (to the left) is 8N, giving a net force of 92N to right.

Using F=ma, find a (acceleration of the two blocks, it has to be the same for each block) [This is taking m as total mass of blocks A and B which is 140N/9.81 (taking g as 9.81)].
My acceleration is about 0.64466ms-2.
Using V=U+at ( V is final speed, U is initial speed, a is acceleration and t is time)
speed after 0.5s is 2.32233ms-1.

Hope this helps. I cannot guarantee that my solution is correct, but in my opinion it should be.

The ans is 3.585 ms^-1

Does the cord in another side(not B side) affect the net force?

btw thanks swsw

The reason that I felt the cord on the other side will not affect the net force is because as block B slides, the cord will move towards the other side. 2 m per sec is rather fast and I thought that the movable pulley will slide along the cord and hence the cord attached to wall might not affect the net force, but turns out I may be wrong.

I also made a mistake in my previous working, its not 0.64466, it is 6.4466.

Last edited:
Perhaps the reason why a(B) is not equals to a(A) in your original working is because there is a movable pulley. Force would be halved but distance doubled to do the same amount of work, so A would move through 0.5X the distance of B?

From my friend:

The acceleration of both blocks cannot be the same. Because one of the features of movable pulley is that you must apply force over 2d distance to move the load by d distance. This is due to the fact the force is distributed with the wall, so you will need to move over twice the distance to complete the same amount of work.

Conversely, if block A were to travel by a distance d, block B must travel over distance 2d in the same time interval. B needs to have 2X the speed of A at all times, hence 2X the acceleration of A at all times.

The equations would be
T-friction = (40/9.81)*2a
and
(100/9.81)*a=100-2T
Solve simultaneously and you should get the answer.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other and resist each other's movement.

2. How does friction affect objects?

Friction can slow down or stop an object's motion, or it can cause an object to heat up due to the energy lost during the interaction between the surfaces.

3. What is the role of pulleys in force with friction?

Pulleys are used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects. They can also reduce the amount of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on.

4. How do cords impact force with friction?

Cords are used to transmit force between two objects, such as in a pulley system. They can also be used to increase or decrease the amount of force needed to move an object.

5. How can we reduce the effects of friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces, such as wheels or ball bearings, to minimize the contact between two surfaces. Additionally, applying a force in the opposite direction of the friction can also help to reduce its effects.