Forced Oscillation with complex numbers

In summary: But that is not what I was trying to show. In summary, the equation holds for z satisfying the equation, but not for any other z.
namesis

Homework Statement

If a force [tex]F = F_0 cos (\omega t) = \Re{\{F_0 e^{i \omega t}\}}[/tex] is applied to a body of mass m attached to a spring of constant k, and [tex] x = \Re\{z\} [/tex]. Show that the following equation holds:
[tex] m \ddot{z} = - k z + Fe^{i \omega t}[/tex] .

Homework Equations

Newton's second law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve the problem assuming that [tex] z = x + y i [/tex] with x and y being real numbers and show that the real parts of the two sides of the equation are equal and so are the imaginary parts. However, although for the real parts we just get Newton's second law, I could not anything useful by the imaginary parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Namesis, :welcome:

Don't you get Newton's law for the imaginary part as well ?

namesis said:

Homework Statement

If a force [tex]F = F_0 cos (\omega t) = \Re{\{F_0 e^{i \omega t}\}}[/tex] is applied to a body of mass m attached to a spring of constant k, and [tex] x = \Re\{z\} [/tex]. Show that the following equation holds:
[tex] m \ddot{z} = - k z + Fe^{i \omega t}[/tex] .

Homework Equations

Newton's second law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve the problem assuming that [tex] z = x + y i [/tex] with x and y being real numbers and show that the real parts of the two sides of the equation are equal and so are the imaginary parts. However, although for the real parts we just get Newton's second law, I could not anything useful by the imaginary parts.
The key point is that only the real part has physical meaning, you may ignore completely the imaginary part. The physical equation is the real part of ##m \ddot{z} = - k z + Fe^{i \omega t} ##, the imaginary part can simply be discarded, it has no meaning (as is clear from the fact that the y you introduced in ##z= x + i y ## has not been assigned any physical meaning.

nrqed said:
The key point is that only the real part has physical meaning, you may ignore completely the imaginary part. The physical equation is the real part of ##m \ddot{z} = - k z + Fe^{i \omega t} ##, the imaginary part can simply be discarded, it has no meaning (as is clear from the fact that the y you introduced in ##z= x + i y ## has not been assigned any physical meaning.

I see now. My point was that you can perfectly write [itex]x[/itex] as [itex]x + 2342 i \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex] without that obeying the equation. So every [itex]z[/itex] that is a solution of the equation, has the property [itex]x = \Re{\{z\}}[/itex] but not every [itex]z[/itex] with the previous property satisfies the equation. The problem was stated in a way that it implied that what I had to show is: "Show that [itex]x = \Re{\{z\}}[/itex] if and only if [itex]z[/itex] satisfies the equation."

1. What is forced oscillation with complex numbers?

Forced oscillation with complex numbers is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a forced oscillating system. It involves using complex numbers to represent the amplitude and phase of the oscillations, as well as the driving force.

2. How do complex numbers relate to forced oscillation?

Complex numbers are used in forced oscillation because they provide a concise and elegant way to represent the amplitude and phase of a system's oscillations. They also allow for the easy calculation of the response of the system to a driving force.

3. What is the difference between free and forced oscillation?

Free oscillation refers to the natural oscillations of a system without any external forces acting on it. Forced oscillation, on the other hand, refers to the behavior of a system when it is subjected to a driving force or external input.

4. How is the response of a forced oscillation system calculated?

The response of a forced oscillation system can be calculated using the complex impedance approach, which involves finding the ratio of the driving force to the response of the system. This can be done using the complex numbers representation of the system's oscillations.

5. What are some real-world applications of forced oscillation with complex numbers?

Forced oscillation with complex numbers has many practical applications, including in the fields of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and physics. It is commonly used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and harmonic motion in general.