Forces and Angles Above The Horizontal (2 prob.)

In summary, the first question asks for the force of friction between a sled and a snow surface being pulled at a constant velocity by a force of 8.0 x 10^1 N at an angle of 53 degrees. The correct answer is 48 N, as found by resolving the force into its horizontal component using the formula F=80(cos 53 degrees). For the second question, the trapeze artist weighs 8.00x10^2 N and is held at an angle of 30 degrees by a partner. The question asks for the horizontal force being applied by the partner, and the correct answer is 924 N, found by resolving the weight force into its horizontal component using the formula 800 = cos
rwishka

Homework Statement

1. A sled is pulled at a constant velocity across a horizontal snow surface. If a force of 8.0 x 10^1 N is being applied to the sled rope at an angle of 53 degrees to the ground, what is the force of friction between the sled and the snow?

A. 83 N
B. 64 N
C. 48 N
D. 42 N

2. A trapeze artist weighs 8.00x10^2 N. The artist is momentarily held to one side of a swing by a partner so that both of the swing ropes are at an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical. In such a condition of static equilibrium, what is the horizontal force being applied by the partner?

A. 924 N
B. 433 N
C. 196 N
D. 610 N

Homework Equations

I don't know any formulas to use for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry, but if I knew what formula to use, I could probably do it. I can't find any formulas that include angles in the section.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing diagrams, and resolving forces into components.

For the first question, since the velocity is constant, what can you say about the resultant horizontal force?

For the second question, again, what can you say about the resultant force?

So, would it be F=80(cos 53 degrees). So F=48 N. Answer C, then?

For the second question, I did 800 = cos 30 degrees (F), so F = 924 N. Answer A.

Thank you SO much! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Related to Forces and Angles Above The Horizontal (2 prob.)

What is the relationship between forces and angles above the horizontal?

The force acting on an object is directly related to the angle above the horizontal at which it is applied. As the angle increases, the force acting on the object also increases.

What is the significance of the horizontal angle in forces?

The horizontal angle plays a crucial role in determining the direction and magnitude of a force acting on an object. It helps us understand how the force is being applied and its effect on the object.

How do forces and angles above the horizontal affect motion?

The combination of forces and angles above the horizontal determines the motion of an object. Forces acting at different angles can result in different types of motion, such as linear or rotational.

What is the difference between forces and angles above the horizontal and forces and angles below the horizontal?

The main difference between forces and angles above the horizontal and below the horizontal is the direction of the force. Forces above the horizontal are applied at an angle above the horizontal line, while forces below the horizontal are applied at an angle below the horizontal line.

How can we calculate the force acting on an object at a specific angle above the horizontal?

The force acting on an object at a specific angle above the horizontal can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the angle to the force and can help us determine the magnitude and direction of the force.