Forces and Moments: Solving Homework Equations

In summary, the triangular plate attached to the wall by two pins A and B is loaded at point C by A force. However, the equation for moments about the bottom of the plate is wrong and must be solved using F_ax and F_bx. Vertical forces are F=Fa+Fb, and horizontal forces are F=0.
jwtp45

Homework Statement

A triangular plate is attached to a wall by two pins A and B. It is loaded at point C by A force F

View attachment diagram.bmp

Homework Equations

Sum of Moments = 0
Sum of Forces = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Moments act around bottom of plate
F*L1=L2*Fa+L3*Fb

Vertical Forces
F=Fa+Fb
Fb=F-Fa
Horizontal Forces
F=0

So vertical forces into moments
F*L1=L2*Fa+L3*(F-Fa)

Fa= F (L1-L3)
-------------
L2 - L3

It doesn't feel right can someone tell me if I've done it right cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
it should read

Fa = (F (L1 - L3))/(L2-L3)

jwtp45 said:

Homework Statement

A triangular plate is attached to a wall by two pins A and B. It is loaded at point C by A force F

View attachment 32117

Homework Equations

Sum of Moments = 0
Sum of Forces = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Moments act around bottom of plate
Moments act about any point you choose, not just the bottom of the plate. For objects in equilibrium, the sum of moments about any point is zero.
F*L1=L2*Fa+L3*Fb
This moment equation about the bottom of the plate is not correct. You first need to use F_ax and F_bx, not Fa and Fb, And your moment arm from F_ax to the bottom of the plate is wrong. It is easier to sum moments about B to solve for F_ax.
Vertical Forces
F=Fa+Fb
Fb=F-Fa
Again, here it should be F_by = F - F_ay, and you can assume that F_ay and F_by are equal.
Horizontal Forces
F=0
You mean F_netx = 0?
So vertical forces into moments
what do you mean by this?
F*L1=L2*Fa+L3*(F-Fa)

Fa= F (L1-L3)
-------------
L2 - L3

It doesn't feel right can someone tell me if I've done it right cheers
Try again summing moments about B. What is the problem asking?

1. What is a force and how is it measured?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to move or change its motion. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass (kg) by its acceleration (m/s2).

2. How do I calculate the net force of multiple forces acting on an object?

To calculate the net force, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual force. Then, use vector addition to add all the forces together. The resulting vector will be the net force acting on the object.

3. What is a moment and how is it calculated?

A moment is the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force (N) by the distance (m) from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

4. How do I determine the equilibrium of an object under multiple forces?

An object is in equilibrium when the net force acting on it is zero and the net moment is also zero. To determine this, set up equations for the forces and moments in each direction and solve for unknown variables. If the resulting values are all equal to zero, the object is in equilibrium.

5. Can moments be negative?

Yes, moments can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force applied creates a rotational force in the opposite direction than the chosen pivot point. Negative moments are typically denoted with a minus sign (-) in front of the value.