Find Coefficient of Friction on Slope w/ 3kg Mass Moving at 17 m/s

In summary, a 3 kg mass is initially moving at 17 m/s along a frictionless surface before reaching a 10º slope with a small amount of friction. It slides 4.5 m up the slope before stopping. The coefficient of friction on the slope can be determined by using the equations for acceleration, force of gravity, normal force, and kinetic friction. However, the equation for net force is needed, and it is unclear why the initial velocity and displacement values are provided. Additional help and resources for understanding kinematics may be needed.
candycooke
A 3 kg mass is moving along a frictioless surface at 17 m/s. It then reaches a slope and starts up it. The slope has an angle of 10º and a small amount of friction. What is the coefficient of friction on the slope if the block slides 4.5 m up the slope before stopping?

m=3 kg
v(i)=17 m/s
v(f)=0 m/s
d=4.5 m

a=v/d*v
F(g)=mg
F(N)=F(g)cos(theta)
F(kf)=F(g)sin(theta)
F(kf)=(mu)(kf)F(N)

a=64.2m/s^2
F(g)=29.4N
F(N)=29.0N
F(kf)=5.1N

(mu)(kf)=F(kf)/F(N)
=5.1N/29.0
=0.18?

I can't seem to determine the F(net) equation. I also can't figure out why V(i) and d would be provided if they aren't a necessary part of the F(kf)=(mu)(kf)F(N). Any help making sense of this problem would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Upward along the plane, the force ma = -mgsin(theta) - u*mgcos(theta). After the m cancels out, it's a matter of simple kinematics and vi and d are both needed.

i believe what star* says is right. I am just here to tell you if you need basics for kinematics, visit my blog!

1. What is the formula for calculating the coefficient of friction on a slope with a 3kg mass moving at 17 m/s?

The formula for calculating the coefficient of friction on a slope is µ = tan θ, where µ is the coefficient of friction and θ is the angle of the slope. In this case, the angle of the slope can be determined by dividing the height of the slope by the length.

2. How do you measure the mass and velocity of the object in order to calculate the coefficient of friction?

The mass of the object can be measured using a scale, while the velocity can be measured using a stopwatch or motion sensor. It is important to ensure that the mass is constant throughout the experiment, and the velocity is measured at a consistent point on the slope.

3. What units are used for the coefficient of friction and velocity?

The coefficient of friction is a unitless quantity, as it is a ratio of two forces. Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. How does the mass and velocity of the object affect the coefficient of friction on a slope?

The mass and velocity of the object have a direct impact on the coefficient of friction. A heavier mass will result in a higher coefficient of friction, while a higher velocity will result in a lower coefficient of friction. This is because the weight and speed of the object contribute to the force of friction acting against the object's motion.

5. Are there any factors other than mass and velocity that can affect the coefficient of friction on a slope?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the coefficient of friction on a slope. These include the surface roughness of the slope, the type of material the object is sliding on, and any external forces acting on the object.