1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on a weight stack pulling horizontally

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    Forces on a weight stack with the position of the pulleys so the weight is pulled up and the puller is moving a horizontally. Is it correct to use F=MG?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Without a diagram it's hard to say for sure, but if I'm picturing it correctly, I think the answer is yes.

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3
    See attachment :)

Attached Files:

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The force on the horizontal rope has to support the weight of the object, so your assumption is correct. However, if you start moving the weight up or down, the pulley system has to factor into any other calculations (work, etc.).

BTW, I've moved this thread to the Homework Help forums, where all schoolwork-type questions should be posted.

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I note that there are two lines from the weight to the pulley. That means that you will have to pull the rope on the left twice the distance you lift the weight.

7. Aug 27, 2012 #6
    SO to calculate work = FD is it as simple as the distance the rope is pulled * mass of the wt *g. and Power would be divided by the time it takes to pull the distance or is there something specific with a pulley system that needs to be take into account?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook