• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Forces on a weight stack pulling horizontally

• Thread starter llhalsey
  • Start date
Forces on a weight stack with the position of the pulleys so the weight is pulled up and the puller is moving a horizontally. Is it correct to use F=MG?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Forces on a weight stack with the position of the pulleys so the weight is pulled up and the puller is moving a horizontally. Is it correct to use F=MG?
Without a diagram it's hard to say for sure, but if I'm picturing it correctly, I think the answer is yes.

See attachment :)

Attachments

berkeman
Mentor
See attachment :)
The force on the horizontal rope has to support the weight of the object, so your assumption is correct. However, if you start moving the weight up or down, the pulley system has to factor into any other calculations (work, etc.).

BTW, I've moved this thread to the Homework Help forums, where all schoolwork-type questions should be posted.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I note that there are two lines from the weight to the pulley. That means that you will have to pull the rope on the left twice the distance you lift the weight.

SO to calculate work = FD is it as simple as the distance the rope is pulled * mass of the wt *g. and Power would be divided by the time it takes to pull the distance or is there something specific with a pulley system that needs to be take into account?