Polar Covalent Bonds: Carbon vs. Phosphorous

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that govern the polarity of covalent bonds with hydrogen and the element that is least likely to form such a bond. While the answer suggests that carbon is the least likely, the questioner argues that phosphorous, with the same electronegativity as hydrogen, should form a more evenly shared bond. However, the possibility of phosphorous being an exception due to its ability to expand its octet is mentioned.
dacruick
I had a question in a lab about which elements are least likely to form polar covalent bonds with hydrogen. From what I understand, what governs how polar a bond is, is the electronegativity of the element. The answer said that Carbon was the one which was least likely to form the bond, but using my periodic table I see that phosphorous has the same electronegativity as hydrogen.

So shouldn't phosphorous share the bond most evenly? I've asked a couple other people and they say that phosphorous might be an exception because it can expand its octet...but that doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you,

dacruick

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're remembering the question and elements correctly?Would you be able to list out the question in its entirety?

No, it doesn't make sense. P-H is fairly non-polar.

1. What is the difference between a polar covalent bond and a nonpolar covalent bond?

A polar covalent bond is a type of chemical bond where the electrons are shared unequally between two atoms, resulting in a slight positive and negative charge on each atom. Nonpolar covalent bonds, on the other hand, are bonds where the electrons are shared equally between two atoms, resulting in no separation of charges.

2. How do carbon and phosphorus atoms form polar covalent bonds?

Carbon and phosphorus atoms can form polar covalent bonds due to their difference in electronegativity. Carbon has a higher electronegativity than phosphorus, meaning it has a stronger pull on the shared electrons in the bond. This results in a slightly negative charge on the carbon atom and a slightly positive charge on the phosphorus atom.

3. What are some examples of molecules with polar covalent bonds between carbon and phosphorus?

Some examples of molecules with polar covalent bonds between carbon and phosphorus include phosphoric acid (H3PO4), carbon monophosphide (CP), and methylphosphine (CH3PH2).

4. How do polar covalent bonds between carbon and phosphorus affect the physical and chemical properties of molecules?

Polar covalent bonds between carbon and phosphorus can affect the physical and chemical properties of molecules in several ways. They can result in a higher melting and boiling point due to the stronger attraction between molecules. They can also impact the solubility of a molecule in polar solvents, as well as its reactivity with other molecules.

5. Can polar covalent bonds between carbon and phosphorus be broken?

Yes, polar covalent bonds between carbon and phosphorus can be broken through chemical reactions. For example, in the hydrolysis of phosphoric acid, the polar covalent bonds between the carbon and phosphorus atoms are broken, resulting in the formation of water and phosphoric acid's constituent ions.