Formula for Projectile Motion?

In summary, there is no single formula that can be applied to all situations. It is important to understand the principles behind the equations and not just rely on memorizing formulas. A helpful resource for understanding projectile motion is tutor4physics.com/projectilemotion.htm. Some key equations for projectile motion include v = u + at, s = ut + 0.5at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as. It is also important to note that there may be additional formulas to consider depending on the specific scenario.
save00us
Can someone post a decent formula? I can't seem to find something that I can understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't a magic formula, if you don't understand an equation for motion, you need to learn why.

What do you want to know about projectile motion?

I just need the formulas..i only have notes on formulas like Vx = x/t, x = vt, y = Vgt + 1/2gt^2, v = voy + gt, vy^2 = voy + 2gy. I wasn't able to copy my teachers notes on the other formulas due to my nearsightedness and her handwriting was so small I can barely see it.

You just need 3 equations.
v = u + at
s = ut + 0.5at^2
v^2 = u^2 + 2as

save00us said:
I just need the formulas..i only have notes on formulas like Vx = x/t, x = vt, y = Vgt + 1/2gt^2, v = voy + gt, vy^2 = voy + 2gy. I wasn't able to copy my teachers notes on the other formulas due to my nearsightedness and her handwriting was so small I can barely see it.

There is no such thing as ONE formula that fits all scenarios. If you think there is, then there's a good chance you'll not do well with such problems, because you are hoping to only do a plug-and-chug without any understanding.

If this is related to a schoolwork, it should have been done in the HW/Coursework forum.

Zz.

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity for a projectile?

The initial velocity for a projectile can be calculated by dividing the horizontal distance traveled by the time it takes for the projectile to travel that distance.

2. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a projectile is h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the speed and distance of a projectile, resulting in a shorter and lower trajectory. This is because air resistance acts as a force that opposes the motion of the projectile.

4. Can the formula for projectile motion be used for objects with non-uniform mass?

No, the formula for projectile motion assumes that the mass of the object remains constant throughout the trajectory. For objects with non-uniform mass, the formula must be modified to take into account the changing mass.

5. How can the formula for projectile motion be applied in real-world situations?

The formula for projectile motion can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a baseball or golf ball, predicting the landing point of a rocket, or determining the range of a projectile fired from a weapon.