Forward Biased PN Junction Help: Silicon Band Diagram & Capacitance Calculation

In summary, the problem involves an abrupt n+-p junction with Nd=10^20 cm^-3 and Na=10^17 cm^-3 that is forward biased at 0.5V. The task is to draw the band diagram, label the n and p regions, and determine the direction and type of current flow in the p-type region just outside the depletion region. The current in this region is due to both diffusion and drift of carriers. The depletion charge capacitance per unit area can be calculated using the equation C'=[(eεsNaNd)/(2(Vbi-Vr)(Na+Nd))]^1/2, where A can be estimated using the dimensions of the junction or a typical value for the
CptMad

Homework Statement

Assume silicon, at room temperature (300k) and complete ionization.
An abrupt n+-p junction with Nd=10^20 cm^-3 and Na=10^17 cm^-3 is forward biased at 0.5V

Homework Equations

a)Draw the band diagram, label n and p regions, show direction of the current flow. Also what is the current type (electrons or holes, drift or diffusion) in the p-type region just outside the depletion region?
b)Calculate the depletion charge capacitance per unit area.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to draw the band diagram but I'd appreciate it if there was a way I could check my answers. Also I get confused with the wording for the 2nd portion of part A. I understand that the current in a forward biased pn junction is due to diffusion would this be considered the same for p-type region?

For part B would it be correct if I use the equation

C'=[(eεsNaNd)/(2(Vbi-Vr)(Na+Nd))]^1/2

But I get stuck since C=AC' but I can't seem to figure out the value for A, would I be able to use A=10^-4cm^2?

Physics news on Phys.org

For part A, you can check your answers by comparing them to a known band diagram for a similar junction, or by using a simulation tool like Matlab or SPICE.

For the second portion of part A, the wording is asking about the current type in the p-type region just outside the depletion region. This means the region where there is still majority carrier concentration, but it is lower than the concentration in the bulk p-type region. In this region, the current is due to both diffusion and drift of carriers.

For part B, yes you can use the equation you provided to calculate the depletion charge capacitance per unit area. The value for A can be estimated using the dimensions of the junction (e.g. width and length) if they are given in the problem, or you can use a typical value for the area of a pn junction (e.g. 1 mm^2).

1. What is a PN junction?

A PN junction is a type of semiconductor junction formed between a P-type semiconductor and an N-type semiconductor. It is the basic building block of many electronic devices, such as diodes and transistors.

2. How does forward biasing affect a PN junction?

Forward biasing a PN junction means applying a positive voltage to the P-type side and a negative voltage to the N-type side. This decreases the depletion region and allows current to flow through the junction.

3. What is the purpose of a forward biased PN junction?

The purpose of a forward biased PN junction is to allow current to flow in a specific direction through the junction. This is crucial for many electronic devices, such as diodes, which use the PN junction to control the flow of current.

4. How does the forward voltage affect a PN junction?

The forward voltage is the voltage required to overcome the potential barrier at the PN junction and allow current to flow. The magnitude of the forward voltage determines the amount of current that can flow through the junction.

5. What happens if the forward voltage is too high on a PN junction?

If the forward voltage is too high, it can cause the PN junction to break down and allow a large amount of current to flow through. This can lead to damage of the junction and potentially other components in the circuit. It is important to use the correct forward voltage for a PN junction to prevent this from happening.