1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forward biased PN junction help needed

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume silicon, at room temperature (300k) and complete ionization.
    An abrupt n+-p junction with Nd=10^20 cm^-3 and Na=10^17 cm^-3 is forward biased at 0.5V

2. Relevant equations

a)Draw the band diagram, label n and p regions, show direction of the current flow. Also what is the current type (electrons or holes, drift or diffusion) in the p-type region just outside the depletion region?
    b)Calculate the depletion charge capacitance per unit area.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have managed to draw the band diagram but I'd appreciate it if there was a way I could check my answers. Also I get confused with the wording for the 2nd portion of part A. I understand that the current in a forward biased pn junction is due to diffusion would this be considered the same for p-type region?

For part B would it be correct if I use the equation

C'=[(eεsNaNd)/(2(Vbi-Vr)(Na+Nd))]^1/2

But I get stuck since C=AC' but I can't seem to figure out the value for A, would I be able to use A=10^-4cm^2?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted