Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foucault pendulum - the physics and maths involved

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    I have been looking at this paper (http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/pendulumdetails.html) on the details of Foucault's pendulum. I am interested in understanding the details, but am having some trouble. My purpose is to study this as an example of how the analysis is done. I'd like to ask some questions and then plod along on my own, until the next question.

Let me start with this question. In the paragraph above equation (2) Wolfe has the equation: r" = r"p − r"o. I see where he then derives equation (2). However, it is equation (3) with which I am having a problem.

r" = r"p − r"o, which can be expanded to
    mr" = mr"p − mr"o. Equation (1) is substituted for mr"p and equation (2), multiplied by m, is substituted for mr"o.

Why in equation (3) does the last term not have a minus sign?

Thanks.

Thomas

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I haven't looked it over too closely, but I suspect that the RHS of (2) is missing a minus sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?