Calculate Fountain Power for a 28.8m Stream Using Bernoulli's Equation

• Thread starter kitty9035
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, The problem asks for the power required to send a stream of water 28.8 m into the air from a fountain with a base diameter of 4.38 cm. The suggested method is to use Bernoulli's equation to find the pressure and then plug into the formula power = pressure x velocity. The time can be found using the equation t = square root of 2gh. However, there is an issue with finding the velocity as the equation provided does not solve for it. The solution involves finding the mass and using basic algebra to solve for the force, and then using the equation for pressure to find the required velocity.
kitty9035

Homework Statement

A fountain sends a stream of water 28.8 m up into the air. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8. IF the base of the stream is 4.38 cm in diameter, what power is required to send the water to this height?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking maybe using bernoulli's equation to find the pressure and plug into to the formula work=pressure x volume. Then plug the answer for work into power=work/delta t.

Then i was thinking how do u find the time.. so i used the equation t= the square root of 2gh.

Is my though process correct? Any hints?? tHANKS IN ADVANCE

Physics news on Phys.org
work=pressure x volume

i believe work = pressure * velocity
are u sure u need to find the time

Power = Force * Velocity as well =).

You have the right idea though that you would be using an equation where you get a square root of 2g(delta y). But the problem is that your equation isn't solving for time! Think about what you need =).

Pressure = Force / Area; use basic algebra to solve for Force. But problem, you don't have the pressure =). Solve for it.

You know the "rho" of water (density). There's an equation to get a pressure =).

Last edited:
I solved for the Force by finding the mass and multiplying it by 9.8. Now I'm having trouble finding the velocity

1. What is a Fountain Power Question?

A Fountain Power Question is a thought-provoking question that allows for multiple answers and encourages critical thinking and creativity. It is often used in scientific inquiry and problem-solving to generate new ideas and solutions.

2. How can I come up with a Fountain Power Question?

To create a Fountain Power Question, start by identifying a topic or problem that interests you. Then, think about different ways to approach it and ask open-ended questions that allow for multiple answers. You can also try brainstorming with others to generate ideas and refine your question.

3. How can Fountain Power Questions be used in scientific research?

Fountain Power Questions can be used in scientific research to explore new ideas, theories, and hypotheses. They can also help scientists identify gaps in current knowledge and guide experiments and investigations.

4. Are there any benefits to using Fountain Power Questions?

Yes, there are several benefits to using Fountain Power Questions. They can stimulate critical thinking and creativity, encourage active learning and engagement, and facilitate collaboration and communication among scientists.

5. Can Fountain Power Questions be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, Fountain Power Questions can be used in various fields, including business, education, and even everyday life. They can help people think outside the box, generate new ideas and solutions, and improve problem-solving skills.