Calculating Net Force on a Charge at the Center of a Square

In summary, the problem involves four charges in a square formation with a fifth charge at the center. The goal is to find the net force in the x-direction on the center charge, given the values of the charges and the length of the square's sides. The solution involves using Coulomb's law and considering the geometry of the problem to find the x-components of each force and then adding them together. However, careful consideration of the signs and directions of each force is necessary to arrive at the correct answer.
Liketothink

Homework Statement

Four charges Aq,Bq,Cq, and Dq (q = 1.00 × 10-7C) sit in a plane at the corners of a square whose sides have length d = 85.0 cm, as shown in the diagram below. A charge, Eq, is placed at the origin at the center of the square.

DATA: A = 6, B = 2, C = 3, D = 6, E = -1. Consider the charge at the center of the square. What is the net force, in the x-direction, on this charge?

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F1=(9*10^9)(6*10^-7(-1*10^-7)/(.601^2)-because it is a square, I took half the distance of the square and found the hypotenuse. Then I used that for the distance between the charges.
So,
F2=(9*10^9)(6*10^-7(-1*10^-7)/(.601^2)-
F3=(9*10^9)(3*10^-7(-1*10^-7)/(.601^2)-
F4=(9*10^9)(3*10^-7(-1*10^-7)/(.601^2)-
Then I multiplied each one by cos(45) and found the x-components
-.000528, -.000352, -.001057, -.001057
Then I added all of them together
so total Frx=-.002995 N
But that's wrong. I don't know what I did wrong. Thank you for helping me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Im having the same problem can anyone help except the problem wants you to find the total charge on a corner and can't figure out how to find the diagonal

Liketothink: Think about the geometry of the problem. Two charges are on the left of the centre and two are on the right, moreover all the charges are attracting the centre charge. Draw a picture and think carefully about the signs/directions of each force.

(Or think this way: is cos(135)=cos(45)?)

mustang1988: I don't understand what you're asking. Find the total CHARGE on a corner? You're given all the charges. Find what about the diagonal? It's length can be found by Pythagoras' theorem.

1. How do you calculate the net force on a charge at the center of a square?

To calculate the net force on a charge at the center of a square, you need to calculate the individual forces exerted on the charge by each side of the square. These forces can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the formula for calculating net force on a charge at the center of a square?

The formula for calculating net force on a charge at the center of a square is F = k*q^2 / d^2, where F is the net force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, and d is the distance between the charge and each side of the square.

3. What is the value of the Coulomb's constant?

The value of the Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2. It is a constant that relates the strength of the electric force to the distance and magnitude of the charges involved.

4. Can the net force on a charge at the center of a square be zero?

Yes, the net force on a charge at the center of a square can be zero if the individual forces exerted by each side of the square cancel each other out. This can happen if the distances between the charge and each side are equal and the charges on each side are equal and opposite in magnitude.

5. How does the distance between the charge and each side of the square affect the net force?

The distance between the charge and each side of the square has an inverse square relationship with the net force. This means that as the distance increases, the net force decreases. This is because the force between two charges decreases as the distance between them increases.