Calculating Capacitance and Charge in Connected Capacitors

• Thread starter tag16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, the conversation involves finding the equivalent capacitance and charge on each capacitor in a circuit with four capacitors connected in a specific way. The equations for calculating equivalent capacitance in parallel and series are used to find the solution. The charge on each capacitor is found using the equation Q=CV, assuming all capacitors started uncharged and taking into account that the charge on capacitors in series is equal.
tag16

Homework Statement

Four capacitors are connected as shown here: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/thepastryman/HWa.jpg (a) Find the equivalent capacitance between points a and b (b) Calculate the charge on each capacitor, taking delta Vab= 15.0V

note: the actual numbers are not the same as those in the diagram. Stating from the top moving from left to right they are: 15.0 micro farads, 3 micro farads, 20 micro farads and 6 micro farads

Homework Equations

parallel: Ceq= C1+C2

series: Ceq=1/C1+1/C2

The Attempt at a Solution

I just used the above equations to find part a, is that right? For part b, would you just use Q=cv or is it more involved then that?

Physics news on Phys.org
tag16 said:
I just used the above equations to find part a, is that right? For part b, would you just use Q=cv or is it more involved then that?

I hope you used [tex] \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \frac{1}{C_1}+\frac{1}{C_2} [/tex]

if you have 2 parallel capacitors you can just use Q = CV for both of them.

If you have 2 series capacitors, you need the fact the charge of a both of the capacitors is equal to the charge on their equivalent capacitors. (because the same current goes through all of them)
This also assumes all capacitors started uncharged.

This is what I did for part a: (1/C1+1/C2)^-1= (1/15microF+1/3microF)^-1= 1.42x10^-7

Ceq= 6microF+20microF+1.42x10^-7

is that right?

For part b I know for series capacitors that the charges are all equal I just don't know how that would effect the set up to my equation to solve the problem.

What are four connected capacitors?

Four connected capacitors refer to a circuit arrangement where four capacitors are connected in a series or parallel configuration. This arrangement is commonly used in electronic circuits to increase the overall capacitance or to achieve a specific capacitance value.

What is the equivalent capacitance of four connected capacitors in series?

The equivalent capacitance of capacitors connected in series is calculated by adding the reciprocals of the individual capacitance values and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. In the case of four capacitors in series, the equivalent capacitance is equal to 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + 1/C4.

What is the equivalent capacitance of four connected capacitors in parallel?

The equivalent capacitance of capacitors connected in parallel is calculated by simply adding the individual capacitance values. In the case of four capacitors in parallel, the equivalent capacitance is equal to Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + C4.

How does the arrangement of four connected capacitors affect the overall capacitance?

The arrangement of four connected capacitors can significantly impact the overall capacitance. When connected in series, the equivalent capacitance is lower than the individual capacitance values, while in parallel, it is higher. This allows for a wide range of capacitance values to be achieved using only four capacitors.

What are the applications of four connected capacitors?

Four connected capacitors have various applications in electronic circuits, such as smoothing power supplies, filtering signals, and tuning resonant circuits. They are also commonly used in electronic devices like radios, televisions, and computers.