Four-momentum & four-acceleration in GR - Physics Discussion

• I
  • Thread starter Karl Coryat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary: He contended that in physics, the direction of a force is defined by which system is changing momentum, and that if something is in free fall, its momentum is changing but the surface of the Earth's momentum is not — and therefore the force must be considered downward. In summary, the discussion revolved around the concepts of four-acceleration and four-momentum in general relativity, and how they play into defining the direction and magnitude of forces in different reference frames. The engineer's viewpoint was that the direction of a force is determined by which system is changing momentum, while the speaker argued that this definition applies more to engineering than general physics. The speaker also raised questions about the four-momentum of the Earth's surface
Karl Coryat
TL;DR Summary
Asking how four-acceleration and four-momentum play into general relativity
I had a discussion with an engineer about forces and accelerations in the context of general relativity. My contention (which I confirmed in these forums some time ago) was that in GR, the real force and real acceleration at the Earth’s surface is upward, not downward. He contended that in physics, the direction of a force is defined by which system is changing momentum, and that if something is in free fall, its momentum is changing but the surface of the Earth's momentum is not — and therefore the force must be considered downward.

To me that sounds like an engineering definition, not a general definition. I suggested that the surface of the Earth's momentum is changing in a falling object's inertial reference frame, but that it’s four-momentum. Is that correct? In the inertial frame of, say, the center of the Earth, is the four-momentum of the surface perpetually changing, all around the planet’s perimeter?

Also, if the acceleration is considered upward from the surface in GR — it's obviously not a linear acceleration, so is that considered a four-acceleration, with the vector pointed away from the Earth's center?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Karl Coryat said:
Summary:: Asking how four-acceleration and four-momentum play into general relativity

I had a discussion with an engineer about forces and accelerations in the context of general relativity. My contention (which I confirmed in these forums some time ago) was that in GR, the real force and real acceleration at the Earth’s surface is upward, not downward. He contended that in physics, the direction of a force is defined by which system is changing momentum, and that if something is in free fall, its momentum is changing but the surface of the Earth's momentum is not — and therefore the force must be considered downward.

If you experience a real force (which you do standing on the Earth), then you have an accelerating reference frame. In that frame other objects may be changing their momentum without any real forces on them.

For example, if you are in a car or train that is accelerating, you feel a real force and objects outside the car are changing their momentum relative to you, without being subject to a real force.

In any case, if you are in free fall, you cannot measure the force of gravity on yourself. If you were in a sealed laboratory, you could not tell directly whether you were in free fall in a gravitational field or at rest (or moving inertially) away from any gravity.

Karl Coryat said:
He contended that in physics, the direction of a force is defined by which system is changing momentum

Momentum is frame-dependent, and in relativity, physics is not contained in frame-dependent quantities but in invariants. So this definition, however useful it might be as a good heuristic in your engineer friend's work, is not correct for relativity.

Karl Coryat said:
I suggested that the surface of the Earth's momentum is changing in a falling object's inertial reference frame

Yes.

Karl Coryat said:
but that it’s four-momentum. Is that correct?

You can use either 3-momentum or 4-momentum; in either case, the "direction of the change" will be a direction in space (in the case of 4-momentum, the direction of its change is a spacelike 4-vector).

Karl Coryat said:
In the inertial frame of, say, the center of the Earth

There is no such thing. There are no inertial frames large enough to cover the entire Earth.

Karl Coryat said:
is the four-momentum of the surface perpetually changing, all around the planet’s perimeter?

Yes, in the sense that the surface is not in free fall. But that's not a sense of "changing" that requires any "movement" of the surface. The Earth is (at least to a good first approximation, leaving out things like earthquakes and tides) in hydrostatic equilibrium, so all of its parts are at rest relative to each other.

Karl Coryat said:
if the acceleration is considered upward from the surface in GR — it's obviously not a linear acceleration, so is that considered a four-acceleration, with the vector pointed away from the Earth's center?

Yes--more precisely, it's a spacelike 4-vector that points away from the Earth's center. But 4-acceleration can be linear as well--for example, a rocket firing its engine in deep space and moving in a straight line has 4-acceleration.

Likes PeroK
Karl Coryat said:
My contention (which I confirmed in these forums some time ago) was that in GR, the real force and real acceleration at the Earth’s surface is upward, not downward.
Yes, this is correct. An accelerometer detects the acceleration due to all real forces so the net real force is upward, not downward.

Karl Coryat said:
He contended that in physics, the direction of a force is defined by which system is changing momentum, and that if something is in free fall, its momentum is changing but the surface of the Earth's momentum is not — and therefore the force must be considered downward.
Which system changes momentum depends on the reference frame. In particular, a non-inertial reference frame has "inertial forces" or "fictitious forces" that will change which systems are changing momentum. The surface of the Earth's momentum does change in local inertial frames which are identified by frames where accelerometers read 0.
Karl Coryat said:
Also, if the acceleration is considered upward from the surface in GR — it's obviously not a linear acceleration, so is that considered a four-acceleration, with the vector pointed away from the Earth's center?
Yes, this is what is measured by accelerometers.

Last edited:
Dale said:
In particular, a non-inertial reference frame has "inertial forces" or "fictitious forces" that will change which systems are changing momentum.
Just to add to this, what Newton would call "the force of gravity", Einstein would call a fictitious/inertial force that comes from using the upwards-accelerating frame of the surface of the Earth, in much the same way Coriolis and centrifugal forces in a car turning a corner come from using the rotating frame of your car.

Likes Dale
Karl Coryat said:
Summary:: Asking how four-acceleration and four-momentum play into general relativity

To me that sounds like an engineering definition, not a general definition. I suggested that the surface of the Earth's momentum is changing in a falling object's inertial reference frame, but that it’s four-momentum. Is that correct? In the inertial frame of, say, the center of the Earth, is the four-momentum of the surface perpetually changing, all around the planet’s perimeter?

Thank you!

What you can unambiguously say to him is that the 4-force and the 4-acceleration are tensors , because they transform as tensors (rank 1 tensors, or vectors) under the Lorentz transform. You can also say that the 3-force is not a tensor, because it doesn't have these properties.

Furthermore, you can say that the 4-acceleration of an object in free fall is zero, and the 4-acceleration of an object on the Earth's surface is not zero,

The question of what is "real" is a matter of philosophy. I happen to agree with your philosophical position, that it's best to regard the tensor quantity as "real". I'd even agree that that's more or less the modern position. But there's no experiment that can distinguish between "real" and "not real", it's a philosophical question and not a scientific one, because it can't be decided by experiment.

I could go on for a bit about why I regard tensors as real, but it would get rather long and I'm not sure if you're interested. And as I said, that's a matter of philosophy, and while I have some opinions about the matter, I don't have a lot of philosphical references, because I haven't done a lot of philosophical reading.

But I will mention one of the clear advantages of tensors, they are manifestly covariant. Because all tensors transform in a standardized way under a change of coordinates, a tensor statement that is true in one coordinate system is true in all coordinate systems. This is not necessarily true (and usually isn't true) for non-tensor systems. So with tensors, one has the freedom to view coordinates as a human convention, a choice of labels. Non-tensor formulations tend to restrict which coordinate systems are allowed, because they won't work in any coordinate systems, they have some pre-requisites on which coordinates one uses.

Likes Ibix and Dale
You folks never let me down! I just want to thank you all for taking the time to answer people's questions, authoritatively and politely, all of these years.

Likes Ibix, Dale and PeterDonis

1. What is four-momentum in general relativity?

Four-momentum is a mathematical concept used in general relativity to describe the momentum of an object in four-dimensional spacetime. It combines the three components of traditional momentum (mass, velocity, and direction) with time, creating a four-dimensional vector.

2. How is four-momentum related to energy in general relativity?

In general relativity, energy and momentum are considered to be components of the same four-dimensional vector, known as the energy-momentum tensor. This tensor describes the distribution of energy and momentum in spacetime and is used in the equations of general relativity.

3. What is four-acceleration and how is it different from regular acceleration?

Four-acceleration is the rate of change of four-momentum with respect to proper time (the time measured by an observer moving with the object). It takes into account both the changes in velocity and changes in the object's mass as it moves through spacetime. Regular acceleration, on the other hand, only considers the change in velocity.

4. How does general relativity explain the effects of gravity on four-momentum and four-acceleration?

In general relativity, gravity is not seen as a force, but rather as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature affects the path of objects through spacetime, causing changes in their four-momentum and four-acceleration. The more massive an object, the greater its effect on the curvature of spacetime and the more it will affect the motion of other objects.

5. Can four-momentum and four-acceleration be used to predict the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields?

Yes, four-momentum and four-acceleration are key components in the equations of general relativity, which are used to predict the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields. These equations have been tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects like stars and the gravitational redshift of light.