Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four vectors and Lorentz invariance

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    Does anyone know where I can find a mathematical proof that the norm of any four-vector is Lorentz invaraint?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2

This sounds like a homework problem, but I am feeling generous. First verify by direct Lorentz transfomation of the special relativistic covariant metric tensor that it is unchanged in a Lorentz transformation.
    Then consider the quantity [tex]\eta '_{\mu}_{ \nu}T'^{\mu}T'^{\nu}[/tex].
    By the transformation property definition of a four vector:
    [tex]\eta '_{\mu}_{ \nu}T'^{\mu}T'^{\nu} = \eta' _{\mu}_{ \nu}\Lambda ^{\mu}_{ \kappa}T^{\kappa}\Lambda ^{\nu}_{ \lambda} T^{\lambda}[/tex]
    Regroup so as to work the transformation on the metric tensor first in the summations.
    [tex]\eta '_{\mu}_{ \nu}T'^{\mu}T'^{\nu} = (\Lambda ^{\mu}_{ \kappa}\Lambda ^{\nu}_{ \lambda}\eta' _{\mu}_{ \nu})T^{\kappa} T^{\lambda}[/tex]
    At this point you should have already verified the following step as I mentioned:
    [tex]\eta '_{\mu}_{ \nu}T'^{\mu}T'^{\nu} = \eta _{\kappa}_{ \lambda}T^{\kappa} T^{\lambda}[/tex]
    Last edited: May 9, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?