Fourier series of exponential term

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with steps involving exponential and trigonometric terms. The solution involves multiplying the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator and removing a common factor of exp(x). The final step involves using Euler's equation, exp(ix), to simplify the expression.
8614smith

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=22975&stc=1&d=1263150596.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive numbered the solution steps, the ones that are giving me trouble are from 1 to 2 and from 3 to 4

From 1 to 2 i don't understand how there can be an exp(x) term taken out of the bracket and still be in the bracket, also don't know how the (1-in) and (1+in) can be taken out but still left in the exp() term

And from 3 to 4 i am assuming its a trig identity but i can't find any on the internet so I am not sure if there's an intermediate step in between these two of whether its a straight swap for an identity

Attachments

• 00000000.jpg
    00000000.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
1-2

multiply the nr and dr by complex conjugate of the dr and remove exp(x) which is a common factor

3-4
famous euler's equation
exp(ix) = ...

hope it helped

1. What is a Fourier series of an exponential term?

A Fourier series of an exponential term is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to describe the behavior of a function over a certain period of time or space.

2. How is a Fourier series of an exponential term calculated?

A Fourier series of an exponential term is calculated using a Fourier transform, which converts a function from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain. The coefficients of the complex exponential functions in the series are determined by integrating the original function with the corresponding complex exponential function over one period.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients in a Fourier series of an exponential term?

The coefficients in a Fourier series of an exponential term represent the contribution of each complex exponential function to the overall behavior of the periodic function. They determine the amplitude and phase of each harmonic component in the series.

4. Can a Fourier series of an exponential term represent any periodic function?

Yes, a Fourier series of an exponential term can represent any periodic function, as long as the function meets the necessary conditions for the Fourier transform to exist. These conditions include the function being continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities.

5. How is a Fourier series of an exponential term used in practical applications?

A Fourier series of an exponential term is used in a wide range of practical applications, including signal processing, image and sound compression, and circuit analysis. It is also used in solving differential equations and in approximating non-periodic functions.