1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform f(x)=sinax/x, a>0

1. Mar 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to show given f(x)=(sinax)/x, a>0

that the transform is 0, |k|>a
    (pi/2)^1/2, |k|<a
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so far i have f transform =1/(2pi)^1/2.[integral from -inf to +inf]exp[-ikx](sinax)/x.dk, i am concerned about the singularity at x =0, does this compel me to use contour integration?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2007 #2
    There's no singularity at 0 for sin(x)/x. (Use l'hopital's rule to give Lim x->0 =1)

4. Mar 13, 2007 #3
    okay so i've used l'hopital to evaluate the quotient, so this tells me my rational function q->1 as x-> 0 right ? but i don't see how this helps me in the evaluation of the transform? I suppose I have to findintegral (-inf, +inf) of exp[-ikx](sinax)/x. First I use the fact that my integrand is an even function, ive ended up with lim R->inf of the integral(0,R) of (sinaxcoskx)/xdx. not really sure if this right and the form of the answer seems to suggest that contour integration was used??

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  5. Mar 13, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could do contour integration, but since you know the answer, it's easier to show it's right. Write sin(ax)/x as (exp(iax)-exp(-iax))/2ix. Now compare this expression with [tex]\int^a_{-a} e^{i k x} dk[/tex]. Do you see the relation between your function and the fourier transform of a step function?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?