How do you take the Fourier transform of sin(t)/t using Parseval's Theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Parseval's theorem to evaluate the integral of the absolute value squared of a function, using the example of x(t) = (sin(t)cos(10t))/(pi*t). The conversation also explores the Fourier transform of sin(x)/x and suggests looking for it in a transform table. Ultimately, it is revealed that the transform is commonly referred to as the "sinc" function.
Moomax

Homework Statement

Evaluate INT(|X(t)|^2) dt using parsevals theorem

where x(t) = (sin(t)cos(10t))/(pi*t)

Homework Equations

parsevals theorem: int(|f(t)|^2 dt = (1/2*pi)INT(|F(W)|^2 dw

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've tried several attempts at this problem and this is my latest:

first I use the fact that sin(x)*cos(y) = (sin(x+y)+sin(x-y)) /2
to get sin(t)cos(10t)/pi*t = (sin(t+10t) + sin(t - 10t))/(2*pi*t)

then I split it up into : sin(11t)/2t*pi + sin(-9t)/2t*pi

then what I was going to do was take the Fourier transform of each function here however, I can't figure out how in the world to take the Fourier transform of sin(t)/t

anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know a function whose Fourier transform is [itex]\sin(\omega)/\omega[/itex]?

I checked on my transform table and looked around online a little and didn't see any transform that equals sin(w)/w. If there was i'd use the f(w) <-> F(t) rule and then it could work for me. Does that transform exist?

Hint:

Compute the (inverse) Fourier transform of f(x), defined as:

f(x) = 1 for -L < x < L,

otherwise f(x) = 0

Yes, it exists and is one of the most fundamental transforms! If your table doesn't have it, I would get another table (seriously). Count Iblis' hint is right on the money.

By the way, [itex]\sin(x)/x[/itex] is sometimes called [itex]sinc(x)[/itex], so look in your table for that. Caution: some authors define [itex]sinc(x) = \sin(\pi x)/(\pi x)[/itex].

Last edited:
ooohhhh now it makes sense! thank you! XD

1. What is the Fourier transform of sin(t)/t?

The Fourier transform of sin(t)/t is a complex-valued function that represents the frequency components of the signal sin(t)/t. It is given by the formula F(w) = π/2 if |w| ≤ 1 and F(w) = 0 if |w| > 1, where w is the frequency variable.

2. Why is the Fourier transform of sin(t)/t important?

The Fourier transform of sin(t)/t is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the frequency components of a signal. It is often used in signal processing, communication systems, and various other applications in engineering and science.

3. How is the Fourier transform of sin(t)/t calculated?

The Fourier transform of sin(t)/t can be calculated using the Fourier transform integral, which involves integration over the entire time domain. However, there are also various numerical methods and software tools available for computing the Fourier transform.

4. What are the properties of the Fourier transform of sin(t)/t?

The Fourier transform of sin(t)/t has several important properties, including linearity, time shifting, frequency shifting, and convolution. It also satisfies the Parseval's theorem, which relates the energy of the signal in time domain to its energy in frequency domain.

5. Can the Fourier transform of sin(t)/t be applied to any type of signal?

The Fourier transform of sin(t)/t can be applied to any signal that is finite and has a well-defined Fourier transform. This includes signals that are continuous, discrete, or periodic. However, certain conditions must be satisfied in order for the Fourier transform to exist.