What is the Fourier Transform of sin?

In summary, the Fourier transform of sin(t) involves the Dirac delta function and the function is zero outside -pi<t<pi.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I need to find the Fourier transform of sin, is this right?

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5531/scan0004r.jpg

I searched the internet but all I could find is the answer with the dirac delta and I don't need that.

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Fourier transform of sin(t) involves the Dirac delta function. What do you mean by "I don't need that"? And why did you change the limits from -∞ to ∞ to -π to π in your integral?

dx said:
The Fourier transform of sin(t) involves the Dirac delta function. What do you mean by "I don't need that"? And why did you change the limits from -∞ to ∞ to -π to π in your integral?

Oh, sorry, I need to find it from -pi to pi.
Is there something wrong with what I did?

Thanks.

I didn't read your whole solution, but there is a mistake in your first step. The Fourier transform integral goes from -∞ to ∞. Why did you change those limits?

dx said:
I didn't read your whole solution, but there is a mistake in your first step. The Fourier transform integral goes from -∞ to ∞. Why did you change those limits?

Yeah, I need to find it from -pi to pi.
Is that way it doesn't involves Dirac function?

Thanks.

No! It's not from -pi to pi. It's -∞ to ∞.

dx said:
No! It's not from -pi to pi. It's -∞ to ∞.

:smile:

But that is the question.
Find Fourier transform of sin in -pi<t<pi.

What do you mean?

Thanks.

Your question is to transform the function [tex]f(t) = \left\{ \begin{matrix} \sin t & \mathrm{if}\; -\pi < t < \pi \\ 0 & \mathrm{otherwise} \end{matrix} \right[/tex] ?

Cyosis said:
Your question is to transform the function [tex]f(t) = \left\{ \begin{matrix} \sin t & \mathrm{if} -\pi < t < \pi \\ 0 & \mathrm{otherwise} \end{matrix} \right[/tex] ?

Yeah, sorry for the misconfusion.

Then your approach is correct since the function is zero outside -pi<t<pi anyway so you may as well integrate from -pi to pi.

Ah, now it makes sense! Thanks Cyosis!

You're welcome.

1. What is the Fourier transform of sin?

The Fourier transform of sin is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. For the specific case of sin, the Fourier transform results in a single peak at a frequency equal to the frequency of the sine wave.

2. How is the Fourier transform of sin used in science?

The Fourier transform of sin is used in a variety of scientific fields, including signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. It is especially useful for analyzing periodic signals or systems that can be represented as a combination of sine waves.

3. Can the Fourier transform of sin be calculated analytically?

Yes, the Fourier transform of sin can be calculated analytically using the Fourier transform formula. However, for more complex functions, numerical methods may be necessary to calculate the transform.

4. What is the inverse Fourier transform of the Fourier transform of sin?

The inverse Fourier transform of the Fourier transform of sin is simply sin(x). This means that if you take the Fourier transform of sin, and then take the inverse Fourier transform of the result, you will end up with the original sin function.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier transform of sin?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Fourier transform of sin. For example, the Fourier transform assumes that the function being transformed is periodic and has a finite energy. Additionally, the Fourier transform cannot accurately capture non-periodic or discontinuous signals.