Fourier Transform of this function

In summary, the authors used the power series expansion of e-ikx to solve the second step in the integration process.
unscientific
Hi guys, I'm not sure how they got from first step to the second. Did they use integration by parts? I tried but I didn't arrive at the same result..

119ypag.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears the power series of [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex] was used.

MisterX said:
It appears the power series of [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex] was used.

I've thought about that, but the integral is the product of two exponentials, not produt of two integrals:

∫eA.eB dx = ∫ e(A+B) dx

∫eA dx ∫eB dx = [Ʃ(1/r!)Ar] ∫eB dx

I'm not sure why they simply moved the e-ikx out of the integral.

It's just the Taylor expansion of the exponential. BTW that's not the easiest way to solve that integral. Try completing the square.

unscientific said:
I'm not sure why they simply moved the e-ikx out of the integral.

You can't move it outside because of its dependence on x.

dauto said:
You can't move it outside because of its dependence on x.

My point exactly. So what magic did they perform at that step then?

They performed no magic :) Actually, that looks like a rather clumsy approach to solve that integral.

They did not bring exp(-ikx) outside the integral. They simply replaced exp(-ikx) with its Taylor expansion. What you want to bring outside the integral are just the Taylor coefficients of the xn terms.

By the way, as you have been suggested by dauto, try instead to complete the square inside the brackets and you'll solve that integral in no time (no Taylor expansion involved). Interpret the terms inside the brackets as:

[itex]A^2=\frac{x^2}{2a^2}[/itex]

[itex]2AB= ikx [/itex]

[itex]B^2= \, ? [/itex]

Try to determine [itex]B^2[/itex] and then write your integrand as e-(A2 + 2AB + B2-B2) which is equal to e-(A+B)2 eB2

By the way, this thread would have fitted better in Mathematics/Calculus since your question is essentially about the evaluation of an integral.

Last edited:

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time or space into a function of frequency or wave number. It breaks down a complex signal into its individual frequency components.

How is the Fourier Transform calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a function is calculated by integrating the function multiplied by a complex exponential over all time or space. This integral is also known as the Fourier Integral.

What is the physical interpretation of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform can be interpreted as a representation of a signal in terms of its frequency components. It can also be used to analyze the spectrum of a signal and identify the dominant frequencies present in the signal.

What are some applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has many applications in science and engineering, such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is also used in fields like physics and chemistry to analyze and study complex systems.

Can any function be Fourier transformed?

Yes, any function that satisfies certain mathematical conditions can be Fourier transformed. However, some functions may have complex or infinite Fourier Transforms, making them difficult to analyze.