Fourier Transforms & Partial Diff Eqns

Therefore, the solutions for the two questions would differ in terms of the degree of the polynomial and the number of coefficients. It is important to pay attention to the specific boundary conditions in order to properly determine the form of the solution.
Firepanda
Basically I have a question (2nd Screenshot) which I am trying to mirror with the below example, which has a written solution.

What I can't work out is how the solutions would differ given the boundary conditions, where would I put them in? Are the soutions to both problems the same?

Here is the worked example: http://i40.tinypic.com/3509kw2.png

Here is the new question: http://i41.tinypic.com/fn8c9t.png

(I would put them directly into this thread as images, but I don't know the resolution of peoples monitors and if they would scale ok)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The solutions to the two questions may be different. In the first question, the boundary conditions specify that the function must take the form of a polynomial of degree 3 or less, which means that the solution must be of the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d. For the second question, the boundary conditions specify that the function must take the form of a polynomial of degree 4 or less, which means that the solution must be of the form f(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e.

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze functions that vary over time or space. It breaks down a function into its individual frequency components, allowing for a better understanding of its behavior.

What is the use of Fourier Transforms in science?

Fourier Transforms are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in analyzing and processing signals and images.

What are Partial Differential Equations (PDEs)?

Partial Differential Equations are mathematical equations that involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. They are commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How are Fourier Transforms and PDEs related?

Fourier Transforms are often used in solving PDEs, particularly in boundary value problems, where the boundary conditions are described by a Fourier series. They also play a crucial role in the method of separation of variables, which is used to solve many PDEs.

What are some real-world applications of Fourier Transforms and PDEs?

Fourier Transforms and PDEs have numerous practical applications, such as in image and signal processing, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in weather forecasting, analyzing financial markets, and in medical imaging techniques like MRI.