Fourier Transforms - Tidying Up After Integration

In summary, for a function f(x) defined piecewise, the Fourier transform can be broken up into two integrals and evaluated separately.
Saz1
ω

Homework Statement

The function f(x) is defined by:

f(x) = e^2ax when x ≤ 0
0 when x > 0

Show that, for a > 0, its Fourier transform may be written:

Fourier transform = 1 / (2a - iω)

Homework Equations

Fourier transform = ∫f(x)e^iωt dx

(the integral is taken over minus infinity to infinity).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have done the 'hard' part correct:

Fourier transform = ∫e^(2ax) × e^iωt

= ∫e^(2a-iω)x

= e^(2a-iω)x / (2a-iω)x

but how would I go about getting it in the form required? I am guessing it related to the fact that the integral is taken over minus infinity to infinity - as x tends to infinity the Fourier transform tends to zero.. as x tends to minus infinity.. ?? What happens to the exponent?

Also, as a side note, is what I have done so far correct? Thanks a lot :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Saz1 said:
ω

Homework Statement

f(x) = e^2ax when x ≤ 0
0 when x > 0

Homework Equations

= ∫e^(2a-iω)x

= e^(2a-iω)x / (2a-iω)x

but how would I go about getting it in the form required? I am guessing it related to the fact that the integral is taken over minus infinity to infinity - as x tends to infinity the Fourier transform tends to zero.. as x tends to minus infinity.. ?? What happens to the exponent?

You need to get in the habit of using parentheses. Also, you're being sloppy with x and t. Decide on one or the other.

Since the function is defined piecewise, break the integral up accordingly:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)e^{-i\omega t}\,dt = \int_{-\infty}^{0} f(t)e^{-i\omega t}\,dt + \int_{0}^{\infty} f(t)e^{-i\omega t}\,dt$$ Now what do you get?

Saz1 said:
ω

Homework Statement

f(x) = e^2ax when x ≤ 0
0 when x > 0

Homework Equations

= ∫e^(2a-iω)x

= e^(2a-iω)x / (2a-iω)x

For x < 0, is your function [itex] e^2 ax, \, e^{2a}x, \text{ or } e^{2ax}\:?[/itex] If you mean the third one you either need to use brackets, like this e^(2ax) or use the "superscript" button, like this e2ax. That button is found on the pallette at the top of the message area, and looks like X2.

RGV

vela said:
You need to get in the habit of using parentheses. Also, you're being sloppy with x and t. Decide on one or the other.

Since the function is defined piecewise, break the integral up accordingly:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t)e^{-i\omega t}\,dt = \int_{-\infty}^{0} f(t)e^{-i\omega t}\,dt + \int_{0}^{\infty} f(t)e^{-i\omega t}\,dt$$ Now what do you get?

Sorry, first time I've posted here and I'm just generally rubbish with computers. There's no 't' value - everything is in terms of x. So the second integral would equal zero as defined by the initial function, and the first integral taken over minus infinity to zero would become

1/(2a-iω) × e(2a-iω)x

then when you put x=0 in, e^0 = 1 and hence the integral would be in the form I require. Thanks a lot for your help.

Related to Fourier Transforms - Tidying Up After Integration

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its underlying frequency components. It converts a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

Why is it important to "tidy up" after integration in Fourier Transforms?

Tidying up after integration in Fourier Transforms is important because it ensures that the transformed function is well-defined and has a finite integral. This allows for easier interpretation and analysis of the transformed function.

What is the difference between a Fourier Transform and an Inverse Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform converts a function from the time or space domain to the frequency domain, while an Inverse Fourier Transform converts a function from the frequency domain back to the original domain. Essentially, they are inverse operations of each other.

How does the Fourier Transform relate to the concept of harmonics?

The Fourier Transform allows us to analyze a function in terms of its frequency components. Harmonics are frequencies that are integer multiples of a fundamental frequency, and the Fourier Transform can help us identify and analyze these harmonics in a function.

In what fields is the Fourier Transform commonly used?

The Fourier Transform is used in a variety of fields, including signal processing, image processing, optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It is also commonly used in data analysis and modeling in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.