Solving Fraction Problems: Unitary Method

• Thread starter 1/2"
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
Now, what he wants to know is how long it will take forty men to do one unit of work if 10 men leave every ten days.In other words, when 10 men leave, there are only 30 men left, and they have to finish the work. So, let's start with the original equation:10 M = 1 W / 40 dNow, we know that when 10 men leave, there are only 30 men remaining, so we can change the number of men in the equation:30 M = 1 W / x dwhere x represents the number of days it takes the forty men to do one unit of work. We don't know the value of x, but we can
1/2"
Hi there!
1)It's a very common problem for me .
I don't get when do I have to multiply or divide a fraction in unitary method e.g.
10 men do 1 work in 40 days
10 men does 3/4 work in 40*3/4 days
or should i do 10 men does 3/4 work in 40*4/3 days
I do't undestand!Plz give me a reason why should I multiply or divide it.
I would be very grateful if anybody does so!
2)The problem:
Forty men finish a piece of work in 40 days; if % men leave the work every ten days,in what time will the whole work be completed.
My try:
I tried to put it like this
40 men in 40 days does 1 work
40 men in 1 day does 1/40 work
40 men in 10 day does 1/40 *10work=1/4
But if I do so I becomes a very very long method.
Isn't there any shorter way.
Please help!
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok your first example:

you are given 10 men do 1 work in 40 days. Now turn it into more mathematical language: 10 men equal 1 work per 40 days. from this point you should think of it in equation form:

10 men = 1 work / 40 days

to get 3/4 work you have to multiply 1 work * 3/4. What you do to the top of the fraction you must do to the bottom, so 40 days * 3/4 = 30. the final equation is:

10 men = .75 work / 30 days

The key is to realize you want the # of men to say the same, so you don't mess with that side of the equation. just multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by the same value.

I can understand the later part alright
bUt could you please be more simple here:uhh:
BishopUser said:
ok your first example:

. Now turn it into more mathematical language: 10 men equal 1 work per 40 days. from this point you should think of it in equation form:

10 men = 1 work / 40 days

Thanks a lot BishopUser

Well, what he starts with is "ten men do one unit of work in forty days".

So, because math is easier, (and I'll take a different approach), I'll change ten men to 10 M, one unit of work to 1 W, and forty days to 40 d. Nothing different, just using different notation.

Of course, here you can see that if 10 men do a unit of work in forty days, they have a rate of one unit of work per forty days. This is written in an equation as:

10 men = 1 unit work / 40 days

or

10 M = 1 W / 40 d

What is the unitary method?

The unitary method is a problem-solving technique used in mathematics to find the value of a single unit when given the value of a certain number of units. It involves setting up a proportion and solving for the unknown quantity.

How do I solve fraction problems using the unitary method?

To solve a fraction problem using the unitary method, you first need to identify the unknown quantity and set up a proportion using the given values. Then, cross-multiply and solve for the unknown quantity.

What are some common mistakes when using the unitary method to solve fraction problems?

Some common mistakes when using the unitary method include forgetting to set up a proportion, using the wrong values in the proportion, and making calculation errors when cross-multiplying and solving for the unknown quantity.

Can the unitary method be used for all types of fraction problems?

Yes, the unitary method can be used for all types of fraction problems, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is a versatile problem-solving technique that can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems.

Is there a specific order in which to solve fraction problems using the unitary method?

No, there is no specific order in which to solve fraction problems using the unitary method. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and then use the unitary method to set up a proportion and solve for the unknown quantity.