1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagram question

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See picture.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to know what are all the forces acting on this object.
    If the object is 10N , the tension force suppose to be 10N. But wouldn' there be a normal force acting between the point touching the ceiling and the ceiling since ceiling is a surface?

Attached Files:

• LL.png
      LL.png
      File size:
      22.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2
    Consider the equilibrium of the chandelier.
    Now consider the equilibrium of the chandelier + Rope System.
    Apply newtons laws.
    You will arrive at the answer.

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3
    what do u mean by equilibrium of the chandelier??
    You mean newton's 3rd law, every reaction force have an action force, i guess u are saying there is a normal force but there is also a reaction force acting back?
    sorry, i dont quite get it, can u be more clear?
    Thanks

5. Apr 20, 2013 #4
    quote "But wouldn' there be a normal force acting between the point touching the ceiling and the ceiling since ceiling is a surface? " end quote

There is force at the junction of suspender and ceiling. The force is normal to the ceiling. In relation to the suspender, the force is normal to the cross section of the suspender. Does that help?
    Try standing up. There is a compression force between your feet and the ground. The force is normal to the plane of the floor and it is normal to the horizontal cross section of your body.

6. Apr 21, 2013 #5
    The best approach in dynamics to make a list of all the forces, their magnitudes, directions and their points of applications. The next step is to study the effects of these forces on the object on which they act. By equilibrium i mean that by 2nd law Fnet=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted