What are the forces acting on the chandelier?

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a chandelier in equilibrium, including the normal force between the ceiling and the suspender, and the use of Newton's laws to determine the effects of these forces. The concept of equilibrium is also explained, involving the list of forces and their effects on the object.
cmkc109

Homework Statement

See picture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know what are all the forces acting on this object.
If the object is 10N , the tension force suppose to be 10N. But wouldn' there be a normal force acting between the point touching the ceiling and the ceiling since ceiling is a surface?

Attachments

• LL.png
    LL.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
cmkc109 said:

Homework Statement

See picture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know what are all the forces acting on this object.
If the object is 10N , the tension force suppose to be 10N. But wouldn' there be a normal force acting between the point touching the ceiling and the ceiling since ceiling is a surface?

Consider the equilibrium of the chandelier.
Now consider the equilibrium of the chandelier + Rope System.
Apply Newtons laws.
You will arrive at the answer.

what do u mean by equilibrium of the chandelier??
You mean Newton's 3rd law, every reaction force have an action force, i guess u are saying there is a normal force but there is also a reaction force acting back?
sorry, i don't quite get it, can u be more clear?
Thanks

quote "But wouldn' there be a normal force acting between the point touching the ceiling and the ceiling since ceiling is a surface? " end quote

There is force at the junction of suspender and ceiling. The force is normal to the ceiling. In relation to the suspender, the force is normal to the cross section of the suspender. Does that help?
Try standing up. There is a compression force between your feet and the ground. The force is normal to the plane of the floor and it is normal to the horizontal cross section of your body.

cmkc109 said:
what do u mean by equilibrium of the chandelier??
You mean Newton's 3rd law, every reaction force have an action force, i guess u are saying there is a normal force but there is also a reaction force acting back?
sorry, i don't quite get it, can u be more clear?
Thanks

The best approach in dynamics to make a list of all the forces, their magnitudes, directions and their points of applications. The next step is to study the effects of these forces on the object on which they act. By equilibrium i mean that by 2nd law Fnet=0.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a graphical representation used in physics and engineering to show all the forces acting on a single body or object. It helps to visualize the forces acting on the object and their direction.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot or a box to represent the object and label it with the object's name. Next, draw arrows to represent each force, making sure to label the force and its direction. Finally, make sure that all the forces are pointing in the correct direction and that they are proportional to their magnitude.

3. Why is a free body diagram important?

A free body diagram is important because it helps to simplify complex systems and understand the forces acting on an object. It also allows for the accurate calculation of net forces and the prediction of an object's motion.

4. What are some common mistakes when drawing a free body diagram?

Some common mistakes when drawing a free body diagram include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, incorrectly labeling the forces, and incorrectly determining the direction of the forces. It is important to double check the diagram to ensure accuracy.

5. Can a free body diagram be used for objects in motion?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects in motion. It is especially useful for analyzing the forces acting on an object at different points in its motion and predicting its future motion based on those forces.