What causes drag on a stationary car?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between drag and acceleration in a car problem and the importance of considering vector addition in a rocket question. It also touches on the physical causes of drag and the importance of understanding vector addition in problem-solving.
Steelers72
See attached photographs.

For the car problem, I think the drag should be smaller than the forward acceleration but I'm not sure.

vectorphysics_zpsdnlg4utk.png

For the Rocket question, I am pretty sure I am correct but I'm not sure why. The drag and the weight would both be in the down position.
free%20body%20diagram_zpsitlj6aot.png

Physics news on Phys.org
For the car problem, what is the drag on an object at rest?

For the rocket, check to see if the sum of all your vectors makes sense, if they were all placed head to tail.

spl-083902 said:
For the car problem, what is the drag on an object at rest?

For the rocket, check to see if the sum of all your vectors makes sense, if they were all placed head to tail.

Thanks for your reply. Would the drag start from rest? Therefore making the drag larger than the acceleration since it starts upon movement from rest?

And for the rocket question, do you mean they have to be equal lengths? I only have one more chance on that one so I want to be sure since I already wasted tries.

Drag is velocity dependent, not acceleration dependent. Think about what is it that physically causes drag on a car.
Also, remember that the way the car will ultimately move is going to be the direction of the net vector. So always check that it makes sense. If you're saying that your largest horizontal component of force is drag then you are telling me that the car will be pushed backwards (from rest) due to drag. Does that make sense?

For the rocket, just do the vector addition and you will understand. If the rocket is ultimately supposed to move upward then what do you expect the net force vector should look like?
Does that expectation match what you get when you add all 3 of your vectors?

Likes Steelers72
spl-083902 said:
Drag is velocity dependent, not acceleration dependent. Think about what is it that physically causes drag on a car.
Also, remember that the way the car will ultimately move is going to be the direction of the net vector. So always check that it makes sense. If you're saying that your largest horizontal component of force is drag then you are telling me that the car will be pushed backwards (from rest) due to drag. Does that make sense?

For the rocket, just do the vector addition and you will understand. If the rocket is ultimately supposed to move upward then what do you expect the net force vector should look like?
Does that expectation match what you get when you add all 3 of your vectors?

I see what you mean. So forward would indeed be larger since that is the direction it is bearing, correct?

For the vector addition, are you are saying that I should add the lengths of the weight vector and drag to get the total size of the thrust vector?

That's right, the forward acceleration of the car would have to be greater. However, you're still missing something. What would cause drag on a car at rest?
If a rock is at rest on the ground does it have drag? Does a car parked in a garage have drag? Why would that answer change if the car experiences instantaneous acceleration, but still has zero velocity?

For the rocket I'm not saying add the 2 downward vectors, I'm saying add all 3 vectors.
If you don't know how to graphically represent vector addition please look it up.

Likes Steelers72
spl-083902 said:
That's right, the forward acceleration of the car would have to be greater. However, you're still missing something. What would cause drag on a car at rest?
If a rock is at rest on the ground does it have drag? Does a car parked in a garage have drag? Why would that answer change if the car experiences instantaneous acceleration, but still has zero velocity?

For the rocket I'm not saying add the 2 downward vectors, I'm saying add all 3 vectors.
If you don't know how to graphically represent vector addition please look it up.

Thank you for your help, and I figured out how to do the rocket one.

The sum of the weight and drag vectors have to be less than the length of the thrust vector; the trust vector (biggest vector) points up and the other two vectors point in the downward direction.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the forces acting on the object and their directions, allowing for a better understanding of the object's motion.

2. How do I create a free body diagram?

To create a free body diagram, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a diagram of the object and label all the forces with arrows representing their direction and magnitude.

3. What is the purpose of a free body diagram?

The purpose of a free body diagram is to simplify a complex system of forces acting on an object. It helps to identify the forces that are causing the object to move or accelerate and to analyze the overall motion of the object.

4. Can you use a free body diagram for any object?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for any object, whether it is stationary or in motion. It is a useful tool in physics, engineering, and other fields where understanding forces is important.

5. How can a free body diagram be used to solve problems?

A free body diagram can be used to solve problems by providing a clear visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. By analyzing the diagram, one can determine the net force and acceleration of the object, and use this information to solve equations and equations of motion.