Free damped vibration of a system of 2 dof, demostration

In summary, the conversation is about solving the differential equations of a system with two degrees of freedom using eigenvalues or eigenvectors. The person is advised to google and look it up in a book, specifically the volume on waves from the Berkley course or the book Waves by Crawford. The topic is clarified to be about mechanical vibrations, specifically free damped vibrations with two degrees of freedom. A document is also suggested for further reading on the damped case.
Jhair
Hi,I need help please, i want to know how to solve de differential equation of a system of two degree of freedom using eigenvalues or eigenvectors or if I can use any another way to solve this kind of equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to google the topic? Or even look it up in a book?
The volume on waves from the famous Berkley course (volume 3 of 5) has an excellent discussion of these topics.
Look up Waves by Crawford, for the reference.

nasu said:
Have you tried to google the topic? Or even look it up in a book?
The volume on waves from the famous Berkley course (volume 3 of 5) has an excellent discussion of these topics.
Look up Waves by Crawford, for the reference.

mmm thanks for the info, I'm going to check, but I meant to mechanical vibrations theme: Free damped two degrees of freedom vibration

The damping is what bothers you, then?
How about this document? In the second part it discuss the damped case.
http://www.iitg.ernet.in/scifac/qip/public_html/cd_cell/chapters/r_tiwari_dyn_of_mach/Chapter_12_Vibration%20of%20two-degree-of-freedom%20system.pdf

Related to Free damped vibration of a system of 2 dof, demostration

1. What is a free damped vibration?

A free damped vibration is a type of oscillation that occurs in a system with two degrees of freedom, where the motion of each degree of freedom is affected by both a damping force and a restoring force.

2. How is the free damped vibration of a 2 dof system demonstrated?

The free damped vibration of a 2 dof system can be demonstrated using a physical model or through mathematical analysis using equations of motion.

3. What factors affect the free damped vibration of a 2 dof system?

The damping coefficient, stiffness of the system, and initial conditions (such as initial displacement and velocity) can all affect the free damped vibration of a 2 dof system.

4. How does damping impact the free damped vibration of a 2 dof system?

Damping can reduce the amplitude and change the frequency of the vibrations in a 2 dof system. Higher damping coefficients result in faster decay of the vibrations.

5. What are some real-world applications of free damped vibration of 2 dof systems?

Some real-world applications of free damped vibration of 2 dof systems include shock absorbers in vehicles, earthquake-resistant structures, and machinery with moving parts that require precise control of vibrations.