Looking for a Free DVD Player/Codec for Windows XP?

• Thread starter 600burger
  • Start date
In summary, a DVD codec is a software program that decodes and encodes the audio and video data on a DVD, while a DVD player is a device or software program that can play DVDs on a computer or TV. Windows XP does not come with a built-in DVD codec or player, so you will need to install one in order to watch DVDs on your computer. There are several free DVD codec/players available for XP, such as VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic, and KMPlayer, which can be downloaded from trusted websites. It is safe to download a free DVD codec/player for XP as long as you download it from a trusted website and scan it for viruses before installation.
600burger
Anyone know a free DVD player/codec for windows XP? Amazingly, windows media player 10 doesn't have one built in.

Physics news on Phys.org
600burger said:
Anyone know a free DVD player/codec for windows XP? Amazingly, windows media player 10 doesn't have one built in.
I can play DVD's on my computer and it came standard from HP at least 4 years ago. InterVideo WinDVD came with the computer, but I use real player instead, didn't cost me anything.

Last edited:

Related to Looking for a Free DVD Player/Codec for Windows XP?

What is a DVD codec/player?

A DVD codec is a software program that decodes and encodes the audio and video data on a DVD. A DVD player is a device or software program that can play DVDs on a computer or TV.

Why do I need a DVD codec/player for XP?

Windows XP does not come with a built-in DVD codec or player, so you will need to install one in order to watch DVDs on your computer.

Are there any free DVD codec/players for XP?

Yes, there are several free DVD codec/players available for XP, such as VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic, and KMPlayer.

How do I install a free DVD codec/player on XP?

To install a free DVD codec/player on XP, you can download the software from a trusted website, such as the official website of the software, and follow the installation instructions provided.

Is it safe to download a free DVD codec/player for XP?

Yes, as long as you download the software from a trusted website, it is safe to download a free DVD codec/player for XP. However, always be cautious and make sure to scan the downloaded software for viruses before installing it.