Free expansion of an ideal gas.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
scorpion990
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
I know that the work done on the system in any free expansion is 0 since the external pressure is 0. However.. is q necessarily 0? Does the temperature necessarily stay constant for an ideal gas?

I've been trying to justify the reasons for which q is necessarily 0, but I can't find a reason... Does anybody know why this is so? I know that U varies only with T for an ideal gas, but that would require justifying that the change in temperature is also 0.. does anybody have a mathematical justification for why q is necessarily 0 for a free expansion of an ideal gas?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is usually described as adiabatic free expansion of an ideal gas to address this issue.
 
scorpion990 said:
I know that the work done on the system in any free expansion is 0 since the external pressure is 0. However.. is q necessarily 0? Does the temperature necessarily stay constant for an ideal gas?

I've been trying to justify the reasons for which q is necessarily 0, but I can't find a reason... Does anybody know why this is so? I know that U varies only with T for an ideal gas, but that would require justifying that the change in temperature is also 0.. does anybody have a mathematical justification for why q is necessarily 0 for a free expansion of an ideal gas?

Thanks.
Apply the first law. Does the gas do work? Does heat flow into or out of the gas from/to the surroundings? What does that tell you about internal energy of the gas?

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
Apply the first law. Does the gas do work? Does heat flow into or out of the gas from/to the surroundings? What does that tell you about internal energy of the gas?

AM

The gas does no work, but heat could, in theory, flow in or out of the gas. I don't see why it can't... The problem doesn't specifically say that the process is adiabatic, but... I guess it is.. Obviously, that would solve all of the problems.

Thanks everybody!