Descend Speed After Dropping Glasses: 9.8 m/s

In summary, the question involves a parachutist dropping sunglasses at a height of 1400m and taking 15 seconds to reach the ground. Using the basic equation Y = VoT + 1/2at^2, the parachutist's descent speed can be calculated to be 20 m/s. However, the answer key states the descent speed is 9.8 m/s, which is most likely a typo.
derpeedoo

Homework Statement

While parachuting, you dropped your sun glasses at a height of 1400m and it took 15 seconds for the glasses to fall onto the ground. What is your descend speed after you dropped your sun glasses?

Homework Equations

Y = VoT + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought process: The glasses must have the same velocity as me when I dropped them. Therefore, its initial velocity during the free fall is my descend speed.

1400m = Vo(15s) + .5(-9.8m/s^2)(15s)^2
Vo = 20 m/s

The answer key says my descend speed is 9.8 m/s [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
A book that poses a problem involving parachuting without being cognizant of the fact that the terminal velocity of a pair of sunglasses is far, Far, FAR less than 100 meters per second should be discarded.

jbriggs444 said:
A book that poses a problem involving parachuting without being cognizant of the fact that the terminal velocity of a pair of sunglasses is far, Far, FAR less than 100 meters per second should be discarded.
This question was on a previous physics exam. Is there anyway for me to solve this with only knowing the basics of free fall?

derpeedoo said:
This question was on a previous physics exam. Is there anyway for me to solve this with only knowing the basics of free fall?
I agree with jbriggs, but in an exam you just have to put up with it. Allowing for drag on the sunglasses would lead to an even larger answer, so I think your method was as intended by the question setter. You got a sign wrong in the first equation but appear to have corrected that, so I also agree with your answer.

It's a typo in the answer key. They meant 19.8.

1. How is the descend speed after dropping glasses determined?

The descend speed after dropping glasses is determined by the acceleration of gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. What factors can affect the descend speed of dropped glasses?

The descend speed of dropped glasses can be affected by air resistance, the shape and weight of the glasses, and any external forces acting on the glasses.

3. Is the descend speed constant for all objects dropped from the same height?

No, the descend speed can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, for objects in a vacuum, the descend speed will be the same regardless of weight or shape.

4. Does the shape of the glasses affect the descend speed?

Yes, the shape of the glasses can affect the air resistance and therefore the descend speed. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more air resistance, slowing down their descend speed.

5. How can the descend speed of dropped glasses be calculated?

The descend speed of dropped glasses can be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v is the descend speed, g is the acceleration of gravity, and t is the time it takes for the glasses to reach the ground. However, this calculation may not be accurate due to external factors such as air resistance.