1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Post-Secondary Education

1. Jul 15, 2005 #1
    Do most European countries offer a free post-secondary education to their citizens?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's rephase that.

Does anybody here come from a European country, or know of a European country, which offers a free post-secondary education to its citizens?

4. Jul 15, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Switzerland does i THINK...

5. Jul 16, 2005 #4
    Post secondary=after highschool?

In that case all nordic countries do and I believe most of central-European countries do aswell.

6. Jul 16, 2005 #5
    I wish we had that over here. I hear France does as well.

7. Jul 16, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

After about 10 pages of googling, all i can find is Germany has free-postsec. education and that a looooooooooot of people in Canada want free-postsecondary education. I also found this hilarious line "Any modern industrial society that does not understand that post-secondary education is an investment in the future is doomed to be a society that lives up to its potential". People really need to proof-read.

Guess google isnt the best source of information :-/

8. Jul 16, 2005 #7
    I know the Czech Republic does.

It's a darn shame that bug hasn't been caught over here. Maybe it only works with smaller countries?

9. Jul 16, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I dobut its dependant on the size of your country. One of the sites said China has had free-postsec. education for 40 years. I for one dont want to see free-postsec. education in the US. College is heavily subsidized in California and i got the short end of teh stick this summer because of it. 1/3 of the classes were cut because the state didnt have the money to fund the classes. Plus of course tuition has been going up for years now. Universities should be funded by market forces like any other business. They should be funded based on how well they teach and not how well they can take money from a multi-billion dollar budget pie. As an afterthought, maybe postsec. education is based on how well countries can keep a balanced/surplus budget. I thought germany normally had a surplus in their budgets.

10. Jul 16, 2005 #9
    Universities should be funded by market forces like any other business. They should be funded based on how well they teach and not how well they can take money from a multi-billion dollar budget pie.

+1

11. Jul 16, 2005 #10
    We have free further education here (college/sixth form), that's post-secondary in our terminology. Still have to pay for university, of course.

12. Jul 16, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wait... college and university arent the same thing?

13. Jul 16, 2005 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Netherlands does, we get 5 yrs sponsored secondary education and cost of living, we can get a loan after that. We do have to finish your education, otherwise we'll have to pay back the money.

We can get €475 max a month, or €730 when you include a loan.

14. Jul 16, 2005 #13
    Not in the UK.
    5-16=Primary school > Secondary school. (compulsary).
    16-18=Sixth form/college (A-Levels) (Voluntary).
    18- =University (Voluntary).

15. Jul 16, 2005 #14
    Belgium has a practically free university system. You only pay €500(about $600) a year tuition, that's it. I pay about €80 because I'm scholarship ellidgeable.

16. Jul 16, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh ok... and i assume those mean roughly the ages as to when you actually enroll...

17. Jul 16, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Thats what you consider practically free? :D Man i feel like im getting off lucky. But im in CA so yes, i am getting off lucky.

18. Jul 16, 2005 #17

ek

Not the same thing here either.

College is for the kids without the grades for university. It is usually a two year school that offers university transfer for top students, or something like that. Basically it's for the kids who tried really hard in high school but were too dumb to get into university but wanted to keep on trying hard to get some sort of education. Good for them I suppose, but a college diploma really isn't going to get you anywhere in life.

As for the OP, I wish university was free here. I pay just under $5000/yr ($4000US). This is after three straight years of tuition hikes. Five years ago tuition was under $2000/yr.

19. Jul 16, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha well my australian friends situation all of a sudden makes sense. 2 years younger then me and i swear she was finished with high school the same time i was.

20. Jul 17, 2005 #19
    Considering that without state sponsorship, the cost would be around €30,000 yes! :biggrin:

21. Jul 17, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha. City college around here is like $300 a semester... probably 99.999999% subsidized here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?