Free Radical Stability Homework: Find the Optimal Temp

In summary, the conversation discusses the stability of different carbon atoms in a molecule and considers factors such as polar effects and resonance structures. The terms "1 degree", "2 degree", and "3 degree" are used instead of the more commonly known "primary" and "tertiary" to describe carbon atoms. The mesomeric effect is mentioned as a factor in determining stability and it is suggested to draw out resonance structures and consider aromaticity to determine the most stable carbon atom.
Priyadarshini
WP_20160129_12_53_22_Pro.jpg

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

option 1: 1 degree C
option 2: 1 degree C
option 3: 3 degree C
option 4: 1 degree C

SO the answer should be option 3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the only stabilizing factor involved here?
Any polar effect involved?
PS- always thought saying tertiary or secondary carbon was a more universal naming system

Suraj M said:
Is that the only stabilizing factor involved here?
Any polar effect involved?
PS- always thought saying tertiary or secondary carbon was a more universal naming system
Why would there be a polar effect? Carbon and hydrogen have very similar electronegativities.
Yeah tertiary and primary are the universal terms, somehow this book doesn't refer to them as tertiary and primary carbons but as 1 degree, 2 degree and 3 degree carbons.

By polar effect, I am referring to mesmeric effect in this case

Suraj M said:
By polar effect, I am referring to mesmeric effect in this case
If the mesomeric effect is considered, then option 3 and 4 are ruled out. But I don't understand why I can't just see which carbon is tertiary and say that's the most stable.

Mesmeric effect ALWAYS dominates here

Decide between 1 and 2 then

I suggest thinking about what types of resonance give the greatest stability. Also consider drawing out resonance structures. Radical stability trends closely resemble carbocation trends (tertiary > secondary > primary). Think about where aromaticity fits into this trend.

1. What are free radicals and why are they important?

Free radicals are atoms or molecules with an unpaired electron in their outermost shell. They are important because they can react with other molecules and cause damage to cells and tissues. However, they also play a crucial role in many biological processes and are essential for maintaining overall health.

2. How does temperature affect free radical stability?

Temperature can significantly impact the stability of free radicals. At low temperatures, free radicals tend to be more stable because they have less energy to react with other molecules. On the other hand, at high temperatures, free radicals have more energy and are more likely to react and cause damage.

3. What is the optimal temperature for free radical stability?

The optimal temperature for free radical stability varies depending on the specific free radical and the environment in which it is present. Generally, lower temperatures (around 0-5 degrees Celsius) are preferred for long-term storage of free radicals, while higher temperatures (around 30-40 degrees Celsius) may be necessary for certain reactions or experiments.

4. How can I find the optimal temperature for a specific free radical?

This can be determined through experimentation and research. Factors such as the type of free radical, the solvent or medium it is in, and the intended use can all impact the optimal temperature. Consulting scientific literature and conducting controlled experiments can help identify the best temperature for your specific needs.

5. Are there any risks associated with working with free radicals at different temperatures?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with working with free radicals at different temperatures. Free radicals are highly reactive and can cause damage to cells and tissues if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety protocols and consult with experts when working with free radicals to minimize any potential risks.