1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free vibrations question

1. Dec 9, 2014 #1
    I know this question has already been asked, but the given answer di not help me. Hopefully someone can post their full solution?

A piston of mass 4.53(kg) is travelling in a tube with a velocity of 15.24(m/s). It engages a spring of stiffness 350 (N/cm) and a damper with a coefficient of 1.75 (N.s/cm)

What is the maximum displacement of the piston and how long does it take to reach this point?

2. Relevant equations
    F= -kx
    where
    x is the displacement vector - the distance and direction in which the spring is deformed
    F is the resulting force vector - the magnitude and direction of the restoring force the spring exerts
    k is the spring constant or force constant of the spring.

velocity=displacement/time

Damping : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the solutions, Max. Displacement = 128.6(mm), Time Taken = 0.0157(s). I am stuggling to find a link between the known data and the displacement. Hope you can help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Lukergr. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

The damper resists with a force proportional to velocity, with units N per m/s, written F=-k.x' so it's a 2nd order differential equation you'll be looking to solve. Motion of the piston is resisted by both the spring and the damper. You'll find a worked example in almost every textbook on physics or calculus 101.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Dec 9, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Is this a diff eq based course?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted