Calculating Freezing Point of K2CrO4 Solution

In summary, the freezing point of a solution made by dissolving 250.0 g of solid potassium chromate (K2CrO4) in 1.00 kg of water is -5.75 degrees celsius. The error in the calculation was due to using 1.25 kg instead of 1 kg as the amount of solvent. The correct answer is -7.18 degrees celsius.
uuuhhhx2

Homework Statement

A solution is made by dissolving 250.0 g of solid potassium chromate (K2CrO4) in 1.00 kg of water?
what will be the freezing point of the new solution.

Homework Equations

[Delta]T(freezing point)=(Van't Hoff Factor)(molal concentration of solute particles)(molal freezing point-depression constant)

Van't Hoff Factor = (moles of particles in solution/moles of solute dissolved)

molality= moles of solute/ kg of solution

The Attempt at a Solution

(250 g K2CrO4)(1 mol K2CrO4/194.188 K2CrO4) = 1.29 mol of K2CrO4
(1.29 mol K2CrO4/1.25 kg solution) = 1.0296 mol/kg
Change in freezing point = (1.0296 molality)(1.86 degrees Celsius/molality)(3 Van't Hoff Factor)
Change in freezing point = 0 degrees celsius - 5.750 degrees celsius
Change in freezing point = -5.75 degrees celsius

though the answer keys tells me its -7.18? please help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
uuuhhhx2 said:

Homework Statement

A solution is made by dissolving 250.0 g of solid potassium chromate (K2CrO4) in 1.00 kg of water?
what will be the freezing point of the new solution.

Homework Equations

[Delta]T(freezing point)=(Van't Hoff Factor)(molal concentration of solute particles)(molal freezing point-depression constant)

Van't Hoff Factor = (moles of particles in solution/moles of solute dissolved)

molality= moles of solute/ kg of solution

The Attempt at a Solution

(250 g K2CrO4)(1 mol K2CrO4/194.188 K2CrO4) = 1.29 mol of K2CrO4
(1.29 mol K2CrO4/1.25 kg solution) = 1.0296 mol/kg
Change in freezing point = (1.0296 molality)(1.86 degrees Celsius/molality)(3 Van't Hoff Factor)
Change in freezing point = 0 degrees celsius - 5.750 degrees celsius
Change in freezing point = -5.75 degrees celsius

though the answer keys tells me its -7.18? please help me out

1kg of solvent only, not 1.25kg

nvm i got it

1. What is K2CrO4?

K2CrO4, also known as potassium chromate, is a chemical compound composed of potassium, chromium, and oxygen atoms. It is commonly used in analytical chemistry and as a dye in textile industries.

2. How do you calculate the freezing point of a K2CrO4 solution?

The freezing point of a K2CrO4 solution can be calculated using the formula: ΔTf = Kf * m * i, where ΔTf is the freezing point depression, Kf is the freezing point depression constant, m is the molality of the solution, and i is the van't Hoff factor. The van't Hoff factor for K2CrO4 is 3, as it dissociates into three ions in solution.

3. What is the freezing point depression constant for K2CrO4?

The freezing point depression constant, Kf, for K2CrO4 is 1.86 °C/m. This value is constant and is used in the calculation to determine the freezing point of a solution.

4. How does the concentration of a K2CrO4 solution affect its freezing point?

The concentration of a K2CrO4 solution, measured in molality (moles solute per kilogram of solvent), directly affects the freezing point depression. As the concentration increases, the freezing point of the solution decreases. This is due to the presence of more solute particles, which disrupt the formation of crystal lattice structures and decrease the freezing point of the solution.

5. Can the freezing point of a K2CrO4 solution be lower than the freezing point of pure water?

Yes, the freezing point of a K2CrO4 solution can be lower than the freezing point of pure water. This is because the presence of solute particles in the solution lowers the freezing point, resulting in a lower temperature at which the solution freezes compared to pure water. This phenomenon is known as freezing point depression.