Finding Frequency Cutoff in a Breadboard Circuit: Tips and Techniques

• Thread starter Rampart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the frequency cutoff in a breadboard using an oscilloscope and multimeter. The method involves connecting the function generator to the resistor and capacitor, then adjusting the frequency until the multimeter reads the known voltage. The cutoff frequency can also be measured using the oscilloscope by gradually increasing the frequency until the voltage is 0.707 of the low-frequency voltage.
Rampart
Hello there.I have a question about how to find the frequency cutoff in a breadboard with oscilloscope,multimeter etc
Ok the circuit it simple.Ac voltage source in series with a resistor,which is in series with a capacitor.I am given that in the frequence cutoff the voltage of the capacitor is let's say T.
So how to find the cutoff frequency?Here is how i think i should find it.

I connect the function generator to the resistor and capacitor.Now i place the multimeter(measuring voltage) across the capacitor.
I change the frequency,until i see that the multimeter got the known voltage(aka T).Then i connect the multimeter across the capacitor again and i measure the frequency.Then i found the frequency cutoff.

Is this the way it should be done?I thought to use the oscilloscope for the cutoff but i don't think i can do it that way.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rampart said:
Hello there.I have a question about how to find the frequency cutoff in a breadboard with oscilloscope,multimeter etc
Ok the circuit it simple.Ac voltage source in series with a resistor,which is in series with a capacitor.I am given that in the frequence cutoff the voltage of the capacitor is let's say T.
So how to find the cutoff frequency?Here is how i think i should find it.

I connect the function generator to the resistor and capacitor.Now i place the multimeter(measuring voltage) across the capacitor.
I change the frequency,until i see that the multimeter got the known voltage(aka T).Then i connect the multimeter across the capacitor again and i measure the frequency.Then i found the frequency cutoff.

Is this the way it should be done?I thought to use the oscilloscope for the cutoff but i don't think i can do it that way.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention
You should use the oscilloscope for everything.
Start with a low frequency, measure peak-to-peak voltage across capacitor. Increase the frequency slightl y to make sure there is no reduction in voltage. Increase frequency until the voltage is 0.707 of the low-frequency voltage. Measure the frequency on the oscilloscope (f = 1/period).

Likes Rampart
I see yes.Thit is surely a relief.Your help is truly appreciated!

What is a frequency cutoff in a lab?

A frequency cutoff in a lab refers to a specific threshold or limit of a certain frequency range that is used to filter out unwanted or irrelevant signals or information.

Why is a frequency cutoff important in a lab?

A frequency cutoff is important in a lab because it helps to reduce noise and interference in experiments or measurements. It also allows for a more accurate and precise analysis of data by isolating specific frequencies of interest.

How is a frequency cutoff determined in a lab?

A frequency cutoff is determined based on the desired frequency range of the experiment or measurement, as well as the type of equipment and filters used in the lab. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the properties of the signal being measured.

Can a frequency cutoff be adjusted in a lab?

Yes, a frequency cutoff can be adjusted in a lab by changing the settings on the equipment or using different filters. This allows for flexibility in experiments and the ability to target different frequency ranges as needed.

Are there different types of frequency cutoffs used in labs?

Yes, there are different types of frequency cutoffs used in labs, such as low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and band-stop filters. Each type has a specific purpose and is used to filter out different frequency ranges.