1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency cutoff/lab

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    Hello there.I have a question about how to find the frequency cutoff in a breadboard with oscilloscope,multimeter etc
    Ok the circuit it simple.Ac voltage source in series with a resistor,which is in series with a capacitor.I am given that in the frequence cutoff the voltage of the capacitor is lets say T.
    So how to find the cutoff frequency?Here is how i think i should find it.

I connect the function generator to the resistor and capacitor.Now i place the multimeter(measuring voltage) across the capacitor.
    I change the frequency,until i see that the multimeter got the known voltage(aka T).Then i connect the multimeter across the capacitor again and i measure the frequency.Then i found the frequency cutoff.

Is this the way it should be done?I thought to use the oscilloscope for the cutoff but i don't think i can do it that way.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should use the oscilloscope for everything.
    Start with a low frequency, measure peak-to-peak voltage across capacitor. Increase the frequency slightl y to make sure there is no reduction in voltage. Increase frequency until the voltage is 0.707 of the low-frequency voltage. Measure the frequency on the oscilloscope (f = 1/period).

4. May 26, 2015 #3
    I see yes.Thit is surely a relief.Your help is truly appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted