Frequency of Black body radiation HELP

In summary, the most intense radiation from a black body is at a wavelength lambda (in m), where λ·T = 2.9×10−3m*K. At a temperature of 683K, the wavelength of the most intense black body radiation emitted by an electric stove burner is 4.25×10-6 m. To find the frequency of this radiation, the relationship between wavelength and frequency must be considered, taking into account Planck's law and Wien's displacement law. This may require a more advanced understanding of these concepts.
re496210
If a black body is heated to a temperature T (in degrees K), the most intense radiation is at a wavelength lambda (in m), where λ·T = 2.9×10−3m*K. If the burner on your electric stove is at a temperature of 683K (really hot and glowing), find the wavelength of the most intense black body radiation emitted by it.

The wavelength is 4.25×10-6 m.

What is the frequency of the most intense black body radiation emitted by the burner in the problem above?

(I do not know how to find the frequency of the most intense black body radiation emitted)

Physics news on Phys.org
re496210 said:
If a black body is heated to a temperature T (in degrees K), the most intense radiation is at a wavelength lambda (in m), where λ·T = 2.9×10−3m*K. If the burner on your electric stove is at a temperature of 683K (really hot and glowing), find the wavelength of the most intense black body radiation emitted by it.

The wavelength is 4.25×10-6 m.

What is the frequency of the most intense black body radiation emitted by the burner in the problem above?

(I do not know how to find the frequency of the most intense black body radiation emitted)

You've found the wavelength, now what's the relationship between wavelength and frequency? Hint: what's the speed of the waves?

Thank you. I figured out that it is 7.07x10^13 Hz

phyzguy said:
The peak wavelength and peak frequency are not simply related by lambda*nu = c. Try reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien's_displacement_law

Good catch, phyzguy. I had overlooked the variations of Planck's law with respect to wavelength, frequency, and wavenumber.

I wonder what level course this question is taken from? It's presented in a way that I would associate with introductory level, but the wavelength vs frequency subtlety for Planck/Wien I would peg at a more advanced level.

Related to Frequency of Black body radiation HELP

1. What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation is the thermal electromagnetic radiation emitted by an idealized object, known as a black body, that absorbs all incident electromagnetic radiation. It is a fundamental concept in physics and plays an important role in topics such as thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.

2. How is the frequency of black body radiation determined?

The frequency of black body radiation is determined by the temperature of the black body. As the temperature increases, the frequency of the emitted radiation also increases. This relationship is described by Planck's law, which states that the spectral radiance of a black body is proportional to the frequency of the radiation and the temperature of the body.

3. Why is the frequency of black body radiation important?

The frequency of black body radiation is important because it provides valuable information about the temperature of an object. It is also used in various fields, such as astronomy, to study the properties of celestial objects and in industrial applications to measure the temperature of materials.

4. How does the frequency of black body radiation relate to the color of an object?

The frequency of black body radiation is directly related to the color of an object. As the frequency increases, the color shifts towards the blue end of the spectrum. This is why objects with higher temperatures, such as stars, appear blue or white, while cooler objects, such as planets, appear reddish in color.

5. Can the frequency of black body radiation be manipulated?

Yes, the frequency of black body radiation can be manipulated through changes in temperature. By adjusting the temperature of a black body, the frequency and color of the emitted radiation can be altered. This is the basis for technologies such as thermal imaging and infrared cameras, which use changes in frequency to create images of objects with different temperatures.