Frequency of Oscillation of a Block & Spring

In summary: But you don't have to assume the value k since it is... already given in the problem?Yes, the value of k is given in the problem statement.Yes, the value of k is given in the problem statement.
QuantumKnight

Homework Statement

An oscillator consists of a block attached to a spring (k=400 N/m). At some time t, the position, velocity, and accelleration of the block are x = 0.100m, v = -13.6 m/s, a - 123 m/s2

A) Calculate the frequency of the oscillation for the system
B)What is the mass of the block
C) What is the amplitue of the block motion?

Homework Equations

x(t) = Acos (wt + psi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion for position and then take the derivaties to find velocity and acceleration. I am still not understanding the phase shifts. I am not worried about B as I can find the mass thanks to the assistance earlier. Just a little guiadance as to what i need to look for in setting up this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You do not need to worry about the phase shift in order to solve (A) - assuming that x is measured relative to the equilibrium position.

For some reason the only equation I can think of to find frequency is 1/T. But this can't be right because I need to know the mass of the block. I can't use T = 2pi/w (w being omeaga) because I wasn't given an angular velocity. I know this is simple but I can't wrap my head around what I am missing.

How are acceleration, velocity, and displacement related? What expressions do you obtain for them?

QuantumKnight said:
For some reason the only equation I can think of to find frequency is 1/T. But this can't be right because I need to know the mass of the block. I can't use T = 2pi/w (w being omeaga) because I wasn't given an angular velocity. I know this is simple but I can't wrap my head around what I am missing.
Hello. Draw a free body diagram of the block at time t. Then you will easily figure out the net force and you already know the acceleration so actually you could begin by solving the mass of the block using Newtons 2nd law. You know how to calculate the frequency when you know m and k.However it is not said in the problem statement whether the block is oscillating vertically or horizontally. I think the other way would be to derive formulas for velocity and acceleration and you would end up having three equations and three unknows.

Last edited:
lep11 said:
Hello. Draw a free body diagram of the block at time t. Then you will easily figure out the net force and you already know the acceleration so actually you could begin by solving the mass of the block using Newtons 2nd law. You know how to calculate the frequency when you know m and k.However it is not said in the problem statement whether the block is oscillating vertically or horizontally. I think the other way would be to derive formulas for velocity and acceleration and you would end up having three equations and three unknows.

This is actually the long way around. In order to solve (A), it does not matter what the spring constant is (assuming the mass is chosen such that the data are fulfilled).

Orodruin said:
This is actually the long way around. In order to solve (A), it does not matter what the spring constant is (assuming the mass is chosen such that the data are fulfilled).
Which one is the longer way?

To start by solving for the mass when you are a priori interested in the frequency. You do not need to include the information of the spring constant in order to find it, it is strictly only relevant for finding the mass in part (B).

Orodruin said:
To start by solving for the mass when you are a priori interested in the frequency. You do not need to include the information of the spring constant in order to find it, it is strictly only relevant for finding the mass in part (B).
Okay. Then I suggest solving those three equations in a group. It won't hurt to think the problem more deeply or from a different point of view but using NII formula without further information would have been incorrect I think.

You could solve it by that method by simply assuming a spring constant k. The resulting mass will simply be proportional to it, which will cancel out in the end. However, just using the kinematics of the problem provides a far more elegant solution.

Orodruin said:
You could solve it by that method by simply assuming a spring constant k. The resulting mass will simply be proportional to it, which will cancel out in the end. However, just using the kinematics of the problem provides a far more elegant solution.
But you don't have to assume the value k since it is given...

What I am saying is that you do not have to use it and that the answer is independent of the value provided.

Orodruin said:
What I am saying is that you do not have to use it and that the answer is independent of the value provided.
Yes it cancels out sorry for my laggy brain

What is the definition of frequency of oscillation?

The frequency of oscillation refers to the number of complete cycles or vibrations that occur in a given time period. It is typically measured in hertz (Hz) and represents the rate at which a system repeats its motion.

How is the frequency of oscillation calculated?

The frequency of oscillation can be calculated using the formula f = 1/T, where f represents frequency and T represents the period of oscillation. The period is the time it takes for one complete cycle to occur.

What factors affect the frequency of oscillation?

The frequency of oscillation is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the block, and the amplitude of the oscillation. A stiffer spring and a lighter block will result in a higher frequency, while a larger amplitude will result in a lower frequency.

How does the frequency of oscillation change with changes in the system?

If the stiffness of the spring or the mass of the block changes, the frequency of oscillation will also change. Increasing the stiffness or decreasing the mass will result in a higher frequency. Additionally, changes in the amplitude of the oscillation will also affect the frequency.

What real-world applications involve the concept of frequency of oscillation?

The concept of frequency of oscillation is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and music. It is used to design and analyze mechanical systems, such as pendulums and springs, and is also used in the study of sound waves and musical instruments. Additionally, it is crucial in the development of technologies such as clocks, watches, and radio communication systems.