Frequency of oscillations given 3 springs at angles ##\frac{2\pi}{3}##

curious_mind
Homework Statement
Block of mass #m# is attached to 3 springs of equal spring constants ##k##. Angle between the springs are ##\frac{\pi}{3}## with Block at its center. If the Block is pushed against vertical wall and released, find the frequency of oscillation.
Relevant Equations
Probably there is no need to assume small oscillations.

##\omega = \sqrt{\dfrac{k}{m}}##
I am attaching the solution given, but I am not convinced with the approach. I am also asking for some suggestions and hints if I am wrong or is there any other way around.

The thing I do not understand is the arguments from geometry they have made. How they can conclude the extension of spring is ## \sin \dfrac{2\pi}{3}## because the projection they have drawn can subtend angle any other than ##\dfrac{\pi}{2} ##. To demonstrate this, I am also attaching a hand-drawn picture. I gave several thoughts on this problem, but not sure what to do.

Please show me some general method to approach such a problem. Thank you.

Attachments

• 3 identical spring masse.png
    3 identical spring masse.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-12-11 080804.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 080804.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 19
Physics news on Phys.org
This part is confusing: "If the particle is pushed against horizontal wall".
Also, can the springs work the same in tension and compression, or they can only be stretched?

Likes MatinSAR, nasu and curious_mind
Oh, sorry.. it is "Block is pushed against vertical wall" Three spring are configured in Y shaped. In the hand written diagram, I drawn horizontally, that is why confusing. Sorry and Thank you for pointing it out.

I hope it is clear. Editing now.

Likes Lnewqban
curious_mind said:
the projection they have drawn can subtend angle any other than
The question ought to state that is for small perturbations x.
However, you might care to challenge the solution for another reason. Consider the case where the angle is zero instead of 60°.
Also, I assume the solution should read "the corresponding elongation in a and b".

Likes curious_mind
Even in the small oscillations how the elongation would be ##\sin \frac{\pi}{3} ##. The projection of spring A to spring B need not to be perpendicular ? Right ?!

curious_mind said:
Even in the small oscillations how the elongation would be ##\sin \frac{\pi}{3} ##. The projection of spring A to spring B need not to be perpendicular ? Right ?!
It is not a question of the projection of one spring on the other; it is the projection of the vertical displacement x on the springs. (And as I hinted, ##\sin(\pi/3)## is wrong.)

If you have trouble seeing that, try this:
Let the horizontal distance from the top of A to the centre line be H.
When the spring is at ##\theta+\Delta\theta## to the vertical, the length of the spring is ##H\csc(\theta+\Delta\theta)##, so its extension is ##H\csc(\theta+\Delta\theta)-H\csc(\theta)\approx-H\frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sin^2(\theta)}\Delta\theta##.
Meanwhile, the vertically downward displacement of the particle is ##H\cot(\theta+\Delta\theta)-H\cot(\theta)\approx-H\frac{1}{\sin^2(\theta)}\Delta\theta##.
What is the ratio of the two?

Last edited:
Likes curious_mind
Y springs.jpg

haruspex said:
When the spring is at ##\theta+\Delta\theta## to the vertical, the length of the spring is ##H\csc(\theta+\Delta\theta)##, so its extension is ##H\csc(\theta+\Delta\theta)-H\csc(\theta)\approx-H\frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sin^2(\theta)}\Delta\theta##.
Yes, I have tried the same way. But in case of elongation of center spring C, do not we require distance ##H+ \Delta H## ?
And so, length of elongated spring A or B will be ##( H+\Delta H)\csc(\theta + \Delta \theta)##?

curious_mind said:
Yes, I have tried the same way. But in case of elongation of center spring C, do not we require distance ##H+ \Delta H## ?
And so, length of elongated spring A or B will be ##( H+\Delta H)\csc(\theta + \Delta \theta)##?
You seem to have misunderstood how I defined H. It is constant.

Likes curious_mind
haruspex said:
It is not a question of the projection of one spring on the other; it is the projection of the vertical displacement x on the springs. (And as I hinted, ##\sin(\pi/3)## is wrong.)

Meanwhile, the vertically downward displacement of the particle is ##H\cot(\theta+\Delta\theta)-H\cot(\theta)\approx-H\frac{1}{\sin^2(\theta)}\Delta\theta##.
What is the ratio of the two?
So, the ratio of these two would be Vertical displacement is to length of spring which is equal to ##\cos \theta ## is that you want to say ?

Which would mean if elongation is ##\Delta l## and vertical displacement is ##x##, then for very small ##x##, it would be ##cos \theta = \dfrac{x}{\Delta l}## which would imply ##x = \Delta l \cos \theta ##. But, Well well, in solution it is given that elongation ##\Delta l = x \cos \theta##.
Correct ? Or am I misunderstanding anything?

curious_mind said:
Thanks for the diagram but Can you explain what you want to say ?
I wanted to clarify my view of the initial condition, assuming certain equal pre-tension in each spring, holding the block in static balance of x and y forces.

Is the diagram and my understanding correct?

Again, can the springs work the same stretched and compressed?

Should we assume that the deflection and oscillation is to be limited to the x-axis by some horizontal guide?

Likes curious_mind
Lnewqban said:
Is the diagram and my understanding correct?
Diagram is correct.
Lnewqban said:
can the springs work the same stretched and compressed?
Yes. I think the problem is symmetrical in this regard.
Lnewqban said:
Should we assume that the deflection and oscillation is to be limited to the x-axis by some horizontal guide?
Not really, I think. Springs deflect in both horizontal and vertical components. Only Vertical spring oscillates in vertical component. I assume you are considering x-axis to be horizontal. I am not sure how you think oscillation is limited to horizontal direction, or am I misunderstanding what you say ? What you mean by "horizontal guide" ?

curious_mind said:
... Only Vertical spring oscillates in vertical component.
Then, I don’t understand the movement.
Sorry, I am unable to help without creating confusion.
curious_mind said:
I assume you are considering x-axis to be horizontal. I am not sure how you think oscillation is limited to horizontal direction, or am I misunderstanding what you say ? What you mean by "horizontal guide" ?
Until now, I believed that the disturbance and following oscillation would have a horizontal direction.

Lnewqban said:
Then, I don’t understand the movement.
Sorry, I am unable to help without creating confusion.

Until now, I believed that the disturbance and following oscillation would have a horizontal direction.

Well, I have to clarify I am talking with respect to first type written diagram.

In the typewritten solution, oscillation happens in the vertical direction.

In hand written illustration, oscillation happens in horizontal diagram.

It is just that I found caveats in vertical typewritten solution, so I tried to reproduce that.. but I drawn the same thing horizontally. This is why creating confusion. I am very sorry for this, but I hope now it is clear.

I think you are considering second hand written diagram.

curious_mind said:
Which would mean if elongation is ##\Delta l## and vertical displacement is ##x##, then for very small ##x##, it would be ##cos \theta = \dfrac{x}{\Delta l}## which would imply ##x = \Delta l \cos \theta ##.
No, you have it backwards. The equations I posted lead to ##\Delta l=x\cos(\theta)##.
The equation in post #1 has ##\Delta l=x\sin(\theta)##, hence my second paragraph in post #4.

Likes curious_mind
haruspex said:
No, you have it backwards. The equations I posted lead to ##\Delta l=x\cos(\theta)##.
The equation in post #1 has ##\Delta l=x\sin(\theta)##, hence my second paragraph in post #4.
I see, I think I understood now your argument. Thank you.

What is the formula for the frequency of oscillations given 3 springs at angles ##\frac{2\pi}{3}##?

The formula for the frequency of oscillations in this scenario can be calculated using the formula: \[f = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\]

How do the angles of the springs affect the frequency of oscillations?

The angles of the springs affect the frequency of oscillations by changing the effective spring constant in the system. The angles determine how the springs are connected and therefore impact the overall stiffness of the system.

What happens to the frequency of oscillations if one of the springs is removed?

If one of the springs is removed, the frequency of oscillations will change as the effective spring constant of the system will be altered. The system will behave differently with only two springs compared to three.

Can the frequency of oscillations be calculated if the masses of the springs are different?

Yes, the frequency of oscillations can still be calculated even if the masses of the springs are different. The formula for the frequency of oscillations takes into account the ratio of the spring constant to the mass, so the masses of the individual springs will not affect the calculation.

What are the units of the frequency of oscillations in this scenario?

The units of the frequency of oscillations in this scenario are in hertz (Hz), which represents the number of oscillations per second. It is a measure of how quickly the system is vibrating back and forth.