1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fresnel Biprism Equation Derviation- please help

1. Nov 13, 2004 #1
    Fresnel Biprism Equation Derviation- please help!!

I recently did the Fresnel Biprism Experiment in order to calculate the wavelength of sodium light. As part of my write up I am to show the derviation of the formula d = (d1 * d2)^1/2 where d = actual separation of the virtual slits. Basically I dont have any idea how to derive this, all I know that it is supposed to come from the simple lens formula......does anyone have any idea how to derive this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am looking at http://www.uow.edu.au/eng/phys/200labs/phys215/fresnel.pdf [Broken]

The separation of the images at a given lens position is related to the separation of the virtual sources like the ration of image to object distances.

Let u = image distance
    let v = object distance

In the first lens position you have

[tex] \frac c {c_1} = \frac u v [/tex]

At the second lens position you have
    [tex] \frac c {c_2} = \frac v u[/tex]

Can you work it out from there?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  4. Nov 13, 2004 #3
    Thanks, I just didnt really know where to start, but looking at that it helps a lot, as I know where to work from. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook