Why Will an Object Not Move Without Friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of friction in opposing motion between two surfaces. The initial response mentions that without friction, objects would continue moving in one direction, but the teacher marks it as incorrect and questions why objects would not move without friction. The person providing the summary recalls a similar question from a GCSE paper and notes that citing Newton's first law was marked as correct. They also mention that it is a poor question and raises questions about the necessity of friction in various aspects of life and the universe.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The question on this paper is as follows: 'Why is it vital that there is a friction force that opposes motion when two surfaces try to slide across one another?'.
My response was: 'If there was no friction, something will keep on going in one direction if no other forces act on it'.
My teacher has marked this as incorrect and has commented: 'Why will an object not move without friction?'.

To me that comment does not make sense; objects would move without friction! So what does she mean? Thank you

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember this question from a GCSE paper. I was marked correct for citing Newton's first law and that the objects would otherwise remain in motion, so I don't think your teacher makes sense either.

Rumplestiltskin said:
I remember this question from a GCSE paper. I was marked correct for citing Newton's first law and that the objects would otherwise remain in motion, so I don't think your teacher makes sense either.
Thanks!

It's a very poor question in my opinion. Vital to who? To what?

We couldn't walk or pick up food without friction so obviously it's vital to us but could life even exit without friction? Is friction necessary to form stars? Planets? or is gravity sufficient?

1. Why is friction necessary for an object to move?

Friction is necessary for an object to move because it provides the necessary force to overcome the inertia of the object. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, and friction helps to overcome this resistance by providing a force in the opposite direction.

2. How does friction affect the speed of an object?

Friction can decrease the speed of an object by opposing its motion. As an object moves, it experiences friction from the surface it is moving against, which can cause a decrease in speed. However, friction can also be used to increase the speed of an object, such as in the case of a car's brakes.

3. Can an object move without friction in a vacuum?

No, an object cannot move without friction in a vacuum. In a vacuum, there is no air or other medium to provide friction, so the object will continue to move at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does the type of surface affect friction?

The type of surface can greatly affect the amount of friction experienced by an object. Rough surfaces tend to have more friction than smooth surfaces because they have more contact points, resulting in more force opposing the motion of the object. Additionally, the type of material the surface is made of can also affect friction.

5. Is there such thing as frictionless movement?

No, there is no such thing as completely frictionless movement. All surfaces, no matter how smooth, will have some amount of friction. However, certain materials and designs can minimize friction and create the illusion of frictionless movement, such as in the case of hovercrafts or ice skating.