How Far Will a Block Slide on an Incline with Friction?

In summary, the question asks for the distance traveled by a block with an initial velocity of 7.3 m/s along a frictionless horizontal surface before stopping on an incline with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1. The block is subject to gravity and the equations for work, kinetic energy, and friction can be used to solve for the distance traveled. However, there may be a flaw in the question as the transition from horizontal to inclined motion may not be smooth.
df102015

Homework Statement

A block is sliding with an initial velocity of 7.3 m/s along a frictionless horizontal surface when it then goes up an incline of 51.5 degrees that does have friction. If the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.1 then how far along the incline (hypotenuse) will the object travel before it stops?
7-p-044.gif

Θ = 51.5°
µ(k) = 0.1
v(initial) = 7.3 m/s
v(final) = 0 ...because the question asks at what point will it stop, meaning there is no more speed.
g = 9.81
d = ?
m = ?
a = ? ...i do not know if i even need acceleration
F = ?
W = ?

Homework Equations

KE = W = 1/2mv(final) - 1/2mv(initial)
F = mg
W = Fd
Force up ramp... F = mg sinΘ
Normal Force against ramp... Fnormal = mg cosΘ
Force of friction between block and ramp... F(f) = µ Fnormal

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly i have no clue where to even begin, i am so lost on this problem :(
Also, my equations could be wrong. Could somebody please give me a detailed walkthrough on how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
df102015 said:
Honestly i have no clue where to even begin, i am so lost on this problem :(
Also, my equations could be wrong. Could somebody please give me a detailed walkthrough on how to solve this?
Alas, we cannot do that; it's against forum rules. You'll need to make some attempt at a solution before help can be given.

That said, I suggest that you consider how energy is traded and lost along the block's path.

There is a flaw in this question. The way the diagram is drawn, the transition from horizontal to inclined motion is sudden, implying a non-conservative impact. But my guess is that you should suppose there is a small radius allowing for a smooth transition.

1. What is friction on an incline?

Friction on an incline is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is moving up or down an inclined surface.

2. How does friction on an incline affect the motion of an object?

Friction on an incline can either slow down or speed up the motion of an object, depending on the direction of the force and the angle of the incline.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an incline?

The amount of friction on an incline is affected by the type of surface, the weight of the object, and the angle of the incline.

4. How can friction on an incline be reduced?

Friction on an incline can be reduced by using a smoother surface or by reducing the weight of the object.

5. How is the force of friction on an incline calculated?

The force of friction on an incline can be calculated using the formula F = μmgcos(θ), where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.