Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Friction problem on inclined plane

1. Jul 8, 2006 #1
    Alright, I have another question that I want to make sure I did correct. The question is "an objec of mass m is at rest on a rough inclined plane with height h, lenght 8 m, and which makes an angle of 30degrees with the horizontal. The object is allowed to move and it stops on a rough horizontal surface, at a distance of 4m from the botton of the inclined plane as shown. The coefficient of kinetic friction on the inclined plane is 0.4 and g=10m/s^2.

What is the speed of the object ast the bottom of the inclined plane?

Alright i used the equation KEfinal -PEfinal = KEinitial -PEinitial, put in the numbers and calculated the velocity to be 12.65 m/s.

The second questin is...

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction for the horizontal surface?

I used the equation Normal force = Force of weight and got

mass*gravity*distance *coefficient of kinetic friction = mass*gravity*distance*coefficient of friction on the incline.

I cancelled the mass and the gravity and put in the numbers,

(4m for distance on horizontal0*(uk)= distance of 4 m, (which i obtained from sin30=8/d)*cos30degrees*0.4(the planes coefficient of friction).

I then solved for the coefficient of fricton from the horizontal and calculated 0.35.

(Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You do NOT have conservation of mechanical energy, since friction is present!

4. Jul 8, 2006 #3
    So, for part A, would I first find the Wnc=-ukmgd, and then set that equal to change of KE + the change of PE?

5. Jul 8, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to factor in the angle. The force of friction is [itex]\mu_kNg[/itex] where N is the component of the block's weight perpendicular to the inclined surface. Apart from that, your approach is right.

AM

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook